Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my boyfriend and I went out for a ten hour ride. We put gas in both machines twice. This morning he checked our oil levels. His MXZ Renegade 600 HO needed almost a litre of oil. My GSX 550 Fan only needed about a quarter of a litre. I've only had mine for a week so we're not sure if this is normal. He's concerned that it's not burning enough oil.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Depends how much gas you used.
Ballpark ratio would be 40:1, so you should have used about 10 litres of gas, and he should have used about 40. If you went the same distance, looks like something's out of whack. From the 'filling up twice' comment, I'd say maybe you're not oiling enough. I'm right at 40:1 with the pump marks lined up the way they're supposed to be. Better get it checked, don't want to burn it up.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
They both have 40L tanks, so for each full tank of gas you should be burning a litre of oil. That will give you a ratio somwhere in the neighborhood of 40:1

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
They should use more oil. The fans are more stressed than the liquids because of heat. Both of my 05 summit 550's used very little oil. I adjusted the oil pump so they use about a quart to a tank of fuel. A quart and a litre are very close to the same. The 3/4 line on the oil tank down to the 1/2 full line is about a quart or a litre and about how much oil minimum your engine should burn to a tank of fuel. They really need oil!! The rings seal to the cylinder walls by hydroplaning on a lip of oil!! They really need oil!! I believe they are trying to keep the treehuggers happy and doo mechanics busy!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
My 06 550 F was not burning enough oil so i turned the oil pump up, as far as you could adjust it. It is about right now.

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
I had my pump turned up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My 10 year old 380 FC is still strong and healthy after dozens of beatings at the hands of friends/relatives/kids. I've had the oil pump well on the rich side since new. Synthetic oil all the way. Listen close to this last bit.... change the fan belt at least every second season. They get hard, worn (from rusty steel sheaves) and turn the fan only partially as fast as it needs to go. The cheapest insurance you'll buy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My sons 550f seized at 1020 miles. The dealer checked out the engine and didn't find the problem. I got an completely new motor from Skidoo and I told the mechanic to turn up the oil injector because the original motor hardly used any oil and the spark plugs NEVER had any oil on them. They were always grey. I really believe that the first engine was running too lean on oil. I would prefer to foul the plugs occasionly than to seize a motor. Get yours adjusted to 1 quart a tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts