Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to hear some feedback on the MXZ 550 fan from anyone who has one or has ridden one. Looking for a second sled for wife and kids. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
JJL-X said:
Just looking to hear some feedback on the MXZ 550 fan from anyone who has one or has ridden one. Looking for a second sled for wife and kids. Thanks!

[snapback]305994[/snapback]​
Was buying one for my son so I rode both the 550f and 380f before I made the decision. I ended up with the 380 because I felt my son, who is 10 only would need that much power. Since I got the 380 I've had other friends ride it and they can't believe it's a 380. Only about 60 MPH top end but it has lots of low end grunt. Plenty for wife and kids. I ride a 800 adren. and my wife has a 500 liquid polaris. Her next sled will be a 550f gsx.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
There's quite a bit on here about them now, if you can find it. Try a search and see what you come up with.
I've got one, and I like it, mostly. It's got quite a bit of power, and is real light. Gas mileage is nothing to brag about, yet anyway. I'm at about 14mpg (CAN) on the trail, but I've got a pretty big track to turn on mine. Not sure what exact model you're thinking of. Mine is pretty well topped out at 70 mph, but again it's got a big track and is geared more for the off-trail, and it really shines there.
Hope that helped.

·
Registered
507 Posts
JJL-X said:

I purchased one used aprox. a month back from a fellow dooer and my wife and I love the sled it handles great and has plenty of power for her and my son who is nine he loves it when I let him ride it great sled for the money no complaints
Dave

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
3000km on my 05 Rev 550 fan.
15 to 19mpg depending on conditions and riding style. Very light and responsive from 0 to about 60 mph. Eventual top speed in the 80+ range for the regular 121inch track models.
Very light and easy to throw around, and good off trail exploring too.
Very happy withthe sled overall. Don't put your spare belt in the belt holder, it will wear a hole in the face of it rubbing on the engine casing by the fan intake.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice sled. Snappy enough through 80 km/hr or so. Eventually will hit about 130 km/hr (speedo), depending on rider's weight. Saw 136 once in great conditions. I loose about 10 k an hour if I have my kid on with me (add 90 lbs). Handles like a rev. No complaints about the front shocks or skis yet. Getting about 17 mpg (canadian) but weight will affect that a lot. I'm about 140 suited up. Can't say as I have any problem keeping up, unless we're on a big lake, and then its a given, I'll never hit 100 miles an hour. Nice to have something I'm not scared to let the kids ride. They love it and comment on how easy it is to turn. Sister said the same thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
JJL-X said:

great sled 80 plus mph with a mxz550fan
no problems except belt holder<sigh> good gas mileage
great price

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not a whole lot of seat time on my mothers 05 gsx 550f, but I can tell you it is very light, handles well and has good power, but loses it's snap as the speed climbs. Will do 80+in favourable conditions and gets really good mileage for a big fan, which surprised me since my wife's old 500 sl was kinda hard on fuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts