Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm totally new to this site...forgive me if this is not the right place to ask this. My son has a 2008 GTX 550F, the other day he lost the engine in it (piston and rings). I replaced the piston and rings and now the machine runs very rough and the entire engine is covered in oil. Anyone out there got any ideas as to what's causing the oil "spray" and where it could be coming from?

·
Registered
13,543 Posts
Clean oil or black oil? Clean oil would be from the injection system, possibly a cracked line and the fan is blowing it around. Dirty oil most likely from the exhaust, the gaskets are kind of hard to keep in place with the fan shroud, one could have slipped out of place. Did you determine the cause of the failed piston? These engines are very reliable and unless the mileage is very high they don’t fail without an underlying condition.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As previous, It's likely the oil situation is related to the piston failure. Pisons look different from oil loss than burn downs, but i dont have any pics. it could be the other piston is damaged also. Look at Ski-doo parts page, 2006,mxz, for how the oil line is run from the pump, likely a cracked line. I cant seem to post the pic, but there re 2 different pages for the oil system.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Check your throttle cable it splits off with one cable going to the oil pump on the recoil side. Make sure the oil pump cable is not broken. Might be the reason for engine failure. There is also a small white plastic drive gear in behind the oil pump. That little gear can strip the teeth and the oil pump has no drive.

Oil in engine compartment as mentioned could be exhaust gas. A secret to assembling engines with a Y pipe is. Install the cylinders but leave them loose. Next move onto the Y pipe. Install the y pipe and torque up to spec... then go back and torque up the cylinders and head. This way you get a nice flat seal on the Y pipe gskts and no leakage. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! It's black oil, I've already checked the entire oil system, no cracked lines, pump is working fine...because it's black oil I knew it had already been through the engine. I also checked the Y-pipe, everything seems to be tight, however, it could be a broken exhaust gasket...I didn't even think about that!! Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts