Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Ski-Doo Everest 500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 1991 Formula MX that had an engine transplant previous owner could not get running.

Engine installed appears to be a series 536 1992 Formula Plus as it has the 34MM carbs on her.

To make sure previous owner installed carbs in correct location I ask for help...

I looked for the 'Red Dot' the manual said was on the carb closest to the recoil but not there...

Manual states the carbs are jetted differently and improper position would cause engine failure.

I pulled carbs and they are marked 34B 352 and 34A 353, I have not pulled them apart yet to see if they are clean or to read the jet sizes.

There is always the possibility the person I bought sled from, or previous owner of the purchased engine, played with carbs and jetting, so if anyone knows which carb is for recoil side it would be appreciated...

Also if anyone knows which stock jets should be in this sled so I could determine if the jets were exchanged.

Is it the richer carb closest to the recoil or the leaner? New to the rotary Ski-doos, my last one was a 72 Olympic and there is little similar between them other than they are used to play in snow...

Thanks, look forward to any assistance offered,,,

Attachments

·
Mr Top Whore
103,150 Posts
I don't know what the jets are supposed to be for that motor but usually the PTO side is richer than the MAG side. Exp. 300 main jet(PTO) 270 main jet(MAG).

·
Registered
1980 Ski-Doo Everest 500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, will open them up and see what is going on, give them a pinesol bath...

Secondary clutch was seized, would not open up, just had load of fun getting her apart, cleaned up and back together, everything spun free, it still does not push open, it spins fine, but won't move... changed from a 1 to a 3 setting when put it together...

·
Registered
1980 Ski-Doo Everest 500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The carbs had a 240 and a 230, placed carb with the 240 closest to the PTO side and the 230 near recoil...

Now to await the new CDI so can see if this sled runs...

Took secondary clutch apart again, buffed the cam, she opens now... not fun to open, but opens...

Ordered a new clip and some cam slide shoes, mine were in spec but they had wear.

·
Registered
1980 Ski-Doo Everest 500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New CDI box arrived, installed and gave her 2 pumps, she fired right off, idled at 2000, came up to temp, coolant flowed, no leaks.

Took her through a tour of the lawn and parked her waiting on the snow... they had 3 inches out there, 3 more and I would have marked up the yard some more... :wink_old:

·
Registered
1980 Ski-Doo Everest 500
10 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 Ski-Doo Everest 500
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that site has me confused, it claims the model number carbs I used, 352 and 353, are for the 470, they show a 240 and 220 jetting..

and the 521 used 240 jets on both sides with different carb numbers, 408 and 409, and that they used different throttle valves between the 2 carbs instead of different main jets...

the only other carbs included previous owner said they were off the 470 were both 352 carbs...

guess I will have to open them up to see if they use same jets and check throttle valves to see if they are numbered differently...

just hate to blow her up, she seems to run so good the way she is, but only ran a few feet in the grass to move her, she is a beast, I would never be able to lift back end if stuck anywhere...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts