Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 503 that when you stop and idle after driving, the idle is quite high, then after a minute or two it falls back to normal.

I am having a bit of problem trying to adjust this out.

Does anybody have any ideas on this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
goingmach_1 said:
I have a '97 503 that when you stop and idle after driving, the idle is quite high, then after a minute or two it falls back to normal.

I am having a bit of problem trying to adjust this out.

Does anybody have any ideas on this problem?

Thanks
[snapback]752248[/snapback]​
It could be most likely that the pilot circut is lean, turn the fuel mixture needle in. If the mixture is within spec's then it may be a intake leak or pluged pilot jet. Check for intake leak by spraying carb cleaner around base of carb or also engine base (with engine running) and note if idle increases dramaticly. If idle increases then intake leak, if not then polet jet and or needle adjustment. If it is twin carbed then maybe carbs out of sync. also. hope I helped.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is a common problem with 503 Fans.......all the way back to the Blizzards. The only thing that I have heard working is changing the pilot jets to a larger size.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot, it drives me nuts when its not perfect. I know this engine is good but the litte imperfection bothers me.

Its my 12 year son's machine, I drive a '05 Mach Z, and when I stop and wait for him and he pulls up all I hear is this thing running at 3,000 RPM.

After a while it drops down, but it's just not right.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 503 idles 1800rpm no problem, with no hang time. Fastfz is 100% right. You should be able to adjust that away. Warm up the motor for 20 minutes. Fully seated pilot screw is max rich, 3 turns out from seated is max lean, in that particular pilot jet range. Stock setting is usually 1 1/2 turns out from seated. Mine runs best at 1 turn out. When you have time, remove one of the carb boots. Hold it up to the light and bend the sht out of it. It may have cracks from old age. Replace both if you see hairline cracks. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts