Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to make a 500SS trail into an X. I am a lighter rider. 140#, and was wondering if I could just use the 550X package shock kit (snoX kit), for a 500SS. It is all 4 440X shocks, valved for lighter people. WOuld this work for a 500SS?

Thanks - Mitch

·
Registered
872 Posts
i didnt get the kit for the 550f.... but i did put on all x shocks and a 1.5 inch track on mine with no problems..... btw... get a rk tek head, this thing cranks now.....

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
I believe the 550f do not have the X shocks but everything else. Heres a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mitch*35 said:
I have decided to make a 500SS trail into an X. I am a lighter rider. 140#, and was wondering if I could just use the 550X package shock kit (snoX kit), for a 500SS. It is all 4 440X shocks, valved for lighter people. WOuld this work for a 500SS?

Thanks - Mitch
[snapback]735201[/snapback]​
The 550X kit will work on your SS with no problems. The shocks are not the race shocks with hose attached resoviors, they are piggy back fashion which is on the X sleds. The shocks can be revalved if needed for your weight but I don't think you'll need too with soft spring settings imo, but it's all rider preference.

·
Registered
172 Posts
PLSSNW said:
Mitch*35 said:

Thanks - Mitch
[snapback]735201[/snapback]​
The 550X kit will work on your SS with no problems. The shocks are not the race shocks with hose attached resoviors, they are piggy back fashion which is on the X sleds. The shocks can be revalved if needed for your weight but I don't think you'll need too with soft spring settings imo, but it's all rider preference.

[snapback]736645[/snapback]​
The 550 X package came with the HPG shocks. Not rebuildable. They are the same shocks that came on the Adreniline's.

The true X package rebuildables are what come on the 600X/800X.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am talking about a kit that you can buy for the 550X to make it race ready. In the front it either comes with X package shocks for 440X shock and in the back it is 440X shocks, it comes with black idlers and a snoX flap, some reinforcements and some other stuff. It is 1400 bucks.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
PM Deadman - he would know.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I just PM'd you. I didn't know you were looking at the actual Race shocks. I don't know for sure, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't bolt right up. I'm sure they'll be super stiff, but you can change that.
I'd also look for the X steering post, bars, riser, stainless steel brake line, tunnel braces, wave brake rotor, and some sweet Mod side panels!
Thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I did the same thing this past fall. I used a new piggy back reservoir C36 rear skid shock. got it for 400$ tax in at Two hWeel Motorsport in Guelph, Ont. They had a box of new and used shocks they picked up from a Snoccross racing team last year. It was re built a little softer than 440x racing specs. For the front I used two HPG non-piggy back rebuildables from a 2002(I think) 800. Paid $300 for the pair(only 1200 km on them, like new).If you use these shocks throw away the dual rate springs that came on them in 2002, they're too soft. Instead use the 90lb springs that came stock on the 500ss, but you'll need to build a 1.5" - 1.75" spacer as the 2005 springs are that much shorter. I used a short piece of 1.5 "ABS pipe glued into a 2" to 1.5" ABS reducing fitting. A little bit of work is needed to slip the spacer onto the grey plastic spring length adjuster. I have put 1400 km on this setup and it kicks "edit for bad language". No more bottoming out for me. I thought I might have some reliability problems with the ABS spacer, but not at all. I have thoroughly abused the suspension, as the trails in my area are lucky to get groomed once a week. 1 to two foot whooped out trails are the norm here. It is a world apart from the stock 500ss suspension. Couldn't be happier with the sled now. Spent a total of $ 710 to make it an "X".

Roger

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I put the rear shocks from an 04 800X into the rear of my 04 500SS for $400 plus the cost of rebuilding them/oil/nitrogen and all that so my rear end is just so much nicer with the X-shock/C-36 or is it 46 in the back along with the square torsion springs. I'm glad I did it as with the 1+1 seat I added, when I put my girl on the back and cranked up the torsions to 4/stiffest setting, they use all the travel and only bottoms on the biggest bumps. Once the Trail or Adrenaline shocks wear out, the only choice is to get the rebuildables as the cost of the non-rebuildables is not worth it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
i love the head but my sled just blew last night.... the oil line got pinched and starved the motor of oil.. good thing that it is just a piston kit that it needs... but i am selling it so if anyone wants some pics of if or anything pm me with your email..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts