Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stretch in '08!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i'd throw this one into the ol' blender and see what churnes up. I just did a compression test on my '05 mxz SS with 6600 HARD kms on it. Both jugs pegged 150 psi! this was with a very good snap-on tester. Does this seem about right for this engine and amount of miles? this is the first test i've done on it so i have no basseline from new.either my tester is off or this thing is built like a brick wall. One other thing is i may be buying an RKT head for it and am just wondering if at installation time that it would be a good time to replace some possibly worn parts.I'm just getting into the mechanical part of these things so any advice is appreciated.

Mr. X

G

·
Mr. X said:
I thought i'd throw this one into the ol' blender and see what churnes up. I just did a compression test on my '05 mxz SS with 6600 HARD kms on it. Both jugs pegged 150 psi! this was with a very good snap-on tester. Does this seem about right for this engine and amount of miles? this is the first test i've done on it so i have no basseline from new.either my tester is off or this thing is built like a brick wall. One other thing is i may be buying an RKT head for it and am just wondering if at installation time that it would be a good time to replace some possibly worn parts.I'm just getting into the mechanical part of these things so any advice is appreciated.

Mr. X
[snapback]688802[/snapback]​
Built like a brick wall!

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
Thats alittle high on compression should be around 135 or so warmed up, or do 7 pulls each side spark plus out with a WOT.
Thats pretty impressive, i have an RK tech head on mine and works good so far i still have to get my Jetting right when good ol mother nature wants to bring us some snow. Im 5 sizes down now from stcok and probably can go another 1 or 2 at the most.
Oh yeah with stock head i was hitting about low to mid 90's in 1000ft, now im hitting a good 101 and this was in 40 degree temps as well.
It just keeps pulling.

·
Stretch in '08!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info BTANK. good to know on the head. Im also considering reeds. but which ones? V-Force3's or boyseen? i notice u have the boyseens, is there much difference between the two besides price? id also like some info on clutching too if its not too much of a bother. thanks.

Mr. X

·
Just the Tip!!
2,504 Posts
I would go with boysens over V-Force any day because o f there dual stage reed design.
The day was night and difference, i used the replacement reed petals, and throttle response was incredible and gained alittle more midrange, buddy put the v-force on his 99 600 same motor and didnt notice a thing.
If u get the Rad valves which will run a good $200+ they send you the aluminum carb boots so no need for cracking. But keep in mind you might have to rejet a couple sizes down.

·
Stretch in '08!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the boysen reed petal replacement would i need to rejet, or just if i was to go with the rad valves? how much did the replacement petals run you?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yep! Thats right! Built like a brick wall.

·
Stretch in '08!
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey RipCord, maybe your sled was built on a friday and the workers didnt put enough mortar to hold everything together!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
i think everybody is a little tired of listening to you whine about your blown up sled. it was abviously some freak that happened to yours because it seems your the only one with problems like that with the 500 ss. If your going to keep talking "edit for bad language" about skidoo then dont post anymore, and go buy something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts