Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is looking to replace the track on his new leftover 05 500SS, I don't know too much about the rev's, I would assume you can slap in an inch and a half? I think that is what he is looking for. Can it be done with factory setup? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
2 will fit, but rub a tad

·
Registered
655 Posts
You should be fine with an inch and a half. Just remember that the stock gearing might be too tall for the added traction. You may have to drop 2 - 3 teeth on the top sprocket to get enough torque to keep from smoking your belt.

Just remember that a rotating track is an air pump (like and airdyne) and will create drag because of the increased area.

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know all about that with my 2" paddle, we were planning on dropping it at least 1 tooth, but that would be a trail and error thing I guess? Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I have a 05 500 SS, I really would NOT recommend putting anything more than a 1.25 on it, just because it already lacks top end power. Its great down low, but the top speed will really suffer with a paddle track. I have a 1.65 I was going to put on mine, but I decided the power was not there to turn it appropriately.
I am geared down 2 teeth too!

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my summit has the same motor with 9000 miles on it and a 2" paddle, and it will still break 80 on the speedo, my summit can run with most any sled in the tight twisty stuff and I can cruise at 70 all day long!However we aren't speed runners, we do a lot off trail/bush/swamp riding most of the time, and the trails that we do ride is so tight and turny 60 is f#$()*g flying...I don't have a problem with loosing top end, and niether does my Dad, if we wanted to do 80+ we would have gotten 800's! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I don't mean to be an A-hole, but you cracked me up by saying your Summit will run with anything in the Tight Twisty trails! .............Thats the funniest thing I heard all day.

·
Registered
872 Posts
i have a 1.5 on my sled... its fine.... you could probably got bigger but not anybigger than a 2 for sure.... and even with a 2 inch u will probabaly have clearance issues

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deadman said:
I don't mean to be an A-hole, but you cracked me up by saying your Summit will run with anything in the Tight Twisty trails! .............Thats the funniest thing I heard all day.

[snapback]716834[/snapback]​
Sorry that you think that, but I can ride all day in the tight stuff and do just fine. Granted I ride Ontario, therefore we aren't going 80, but if its 40-65 I can run it all day, ride with a bunch of other sleds...they can pull me good on the straights but I can catch back up....It's got 9k on it, I've ridden my share of trails...I'll be glad to run with you sometime....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Summit VS MXZX in the tight twisty trails?..................Hmmmmmm, sounds like a useless challenge, I prefer a race that you'd actually have a chance in.

Thats like racing a Geo Metro in an off road race against a 1 ton Cummins!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Deadman said:
Summit VS MXZX in the tight twisty trails?..................Hmmmmmm, sounds like a useless challenge, I prefer a race that you'd actually have a chance in.

Thats like racing a Geo Metro in an off road race against a 1 ton Cummins!
[snapback]716950[/snapback]​

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, if you can run the trails so much better then I can, I'll gladly take you on a ride you'll never forget thru some pow pow....we'll race up and down some hills? See who has the metro and 1 ton cummins then...I don't really want to start a "edit for bad language" match here, I was just telling it how I see it when I ride. As stated above, we dont' ride fast, we ride hard and safe, don't apex corners and "edit for bad language"....just stick to the trails and go as fast as we feel comfortable...but the stuff that I ride is so tight and turny that even the REV guys can't go much over 45-50mph...and my sled does just fine up to there.....

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm done with the racing subject...and if you can beat me that bad, I'll gladly admit to it...and I'll shake your hand and tell you how good of a rider you are...But I have raced many times, and with the Summit gotten my "edit for bad language" kicked quite a few times, I won't lie about how I run, its pointless....I know my sled is worthless anything above 65...but I can hook up and go thru most anything...At least you guys got a good laugh out of me....but we will never know how each other rides...its one word against one word! And i'll be the first to admit that your sled SHOULD and WOULD do better then mine, but you aren't going to be a mile ahead of me....I see keeping up as seeing taillights??? NOT so much kissing your bumper every step of the way....and you couldn't ride my bumper eaither...the 1-2" diameter ice chunks that fly 30' behind my sled hurt pretty bad at 60! Sorry I even started a conflict...I was just stating a fact about not caring about loosing some speed on a 500SS, I know what they can do....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
2.25 finger track will actually tuck under it if you really want more track. BJ has done it and said he only trimmed a few fingers.
I ran a 1.65 on my Old SDI, and that fit no problem (04). There was plenty of clearance, but it ratcheted alot, so i dumped extroverts under it. The stock 10 tooth drivers kinda suck and ratchet easily especially if you flip your coupler blocks.
9 tooth extroverts still need a lot of rail trimming..

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks alot, your info has really helped. I think my Dad just wants to go with the 1.5", he doesn't really like to break trail or anything, just likes to follow the mountain sleds around! He doesn't want to extend it eaither, I was pushing for a 136" with a 1 3/4 but he won't have anything to do with it. So....Thank you so much Deadman!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
mxzeatr said:
Thanks! So I won't have a problem with 1.5"?
[snapback]716653[/snapback]​
Fairly certain you can go safely with 1.75" however IMO that's alot of track for 110
ponies!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts