Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have 2005 mxz 500ss trail. ever since the day i got its been really hard on belts. the first belt went at about 700kms. then after 3 500ss belts i tried a 800 belt thinkin it would last longer. will it actuallly exploded on me with about 400miles on it. the rest would just come apart on the side. this year i struck i stump and then 2days later the belt went so i took the sled to the dealer and had a new one installed and had the sled lined up and crank seals checked... im probly on my 7th belt in 2200miles. anyone else have this problem? i would like to spend money in my sled and make it better but i dont want to be always buying belts either. any help would be great, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i also took the plastic cover off the belt guard and i moved the took box.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
I just changed my belt for the first time this past weekend at 1,700 miles. Didn't have to, but the original showed a little wear. Haven't even changed the plugs yet....or anything else for that matter.
good luck,

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Stock 500ss should NOT be eating belts. These sleds have great clutch setups/tuning. Is it completely stock? Did you buy brand new?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
04renegade600ho said:
Stock 500ss should NOT be eating belts. These sleds have great clutch setups/tuning. Is it completely stock? Did you buy brand new?
[snapback]749281[/snapback]​
yes i bought it brand and its bone stock....ecpet for cosmics

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Here is my take on the belt or on any sled that might eat belts, FWIW.

There are a few lines in the Owners Manual, and in fact, every owners manual I've ever had the chance to read, I'm weird in that I like to read owners manuals of anything, but to get back to the point, at least in our 500SS manuals it states that we, as owners, should start our sleds up, let them warm up, then to put the back end of our sleds up on a stand, then spin the track to warm up the belt, clutch, motor, all the bogie wheels and the track itself.

Now without trying to sound so uppity or even contemptuous, how many times have you ever done it?

All day, all night, year after year, I see that about 99% of the people who take their sleds off their trailers, or walk out of hotel rooms or cabins/houses in the morning, start the sled up, let it warm up, and ride away, never putting the sled up and spinning the track, even if the manufacturer tells them to, especially when they show it and stress the importance of it in a VIDEO of THEIR sled!, like I had seen for a recent Polaris.

Think of how cold it is in the winter and all that plastic, rubber and bearings and how cold and tight they must be, and of the frozen ice and snow that might be under the tunnel, which melted after a ride, then refroze in the morning. I can't tell you how many Polaris' I've seen which can't even get moving because of all the ice that has built up under their tunnels with the owners just gassing it to death to get the sled moving, they did warm up the engine though, but the track is just frozen from all the stuff iced to the bogies and all.

This is just my take, do with it as you will.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i always let it warm up but no i dont pick it up....then again it is alway keep in a heated garage with the furnace on 20degrees celcuis

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It is something to try and can't hurt anyone since every manufacturer tells us to do it.

I can't bear to never spin the belt, clutch and track before I take my sled out of the warm garage to even put it on the trailer, I guess my mechanical sympathy is strong for my machine.

If the definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, it might be worth trying it as it can't hurt anything.

Good luck, you just might have something really out of whack with your clutches but I hope not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i think il jsut by some cheap canadian tire belts...my belt cost me 130cdn now

·
Registered
954 Posts
the other thing that its hard to tell guys and even myself, is you have to break it in. no WOT for the first 50 miles! sounds like a lot but the best thing that i like to do is to take a new belt and break it in slowly, change it mid ride if i wanna play in powder or something or take some jumps. i do know if your hard on the belt off the start you take all the life out of it.it has to get hot and cool a few times before your going to get life out of it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
76TNTRV said:
the other thing that its hard to tell guys and even myself, is you have to break it in. no WOT for the first 50 miles! sounds like a lot but the best thing that i like to do is to take a new belt and break it in slowly, change it mid ride if i wanna play in powder or something or take some jumps. i do know if your hard on the belt off the start you take all the life out of it.it has to get hot and cool a few times before your going to get life out of it
[snapback]749937[/snapback]​
i do break in the belt for 30miles i take it easy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is no way you are doing anything wrong that is causing them to blow that quickly. Yeah if you warm it up on a track stand that is better, but most do not and still get 1000+ miles out of a belt. I suspect the alignment is off on your clutches. If you have warranty left bring it in before it expires.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I drive the crap out of my ss just changed my belt after 5500 kms over 3000 miles. belt looked good but getting a little thin. have they checked the alignement on your cluches ?? good luck no probs here ss rocks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dtweaker said:
There is no way you are doing anything wrong that is causing them to blow that quickly. Yeah if you warm it up on a track stand that is better, but most do not and still get 1000+ miles out of a belt. I suspect the alignment is off on your clutches. If you have warranty left bring it in before it expires.
[snapback]751814[/snapback]​
yse i had the sled lined up the day a put the new belt on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the last elt jsut went. 500miles max maybe less.. its really depressimg. i jwsut put new rear torison springs in. the stock ones were rer,red,yellow.the new ones are green,green,green. would a clutch off a 600ho fit on my ss. what is requried to pull both clutches off an clean them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
05rev500ss said:
well the last elt jsut went. 500miles max maybe less.. its really depressimg. i jwsut put new rear torison springs in. the stock ones were rer,red,yellow.the new ones are green,green,green. would a clutch off a 600ho fit on my ss. what is requried to pull both clutches off an clean them?
[snapback]795000[/snapback]​
im hoping i can make thsi sled into a renegae. next season im guonna by 3 ultimax3 belts and if all three blow the sled is going,.

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
i would say take it to a dealer and have them cheak the belt deflection. the deflection i think is how the clutches are lined up to one another. it sounds to me the clutches arnt alighned and there is added stress on the belt and that is what is causing ur belts to be eatened up...just my $.02. u could also try taking the clutches off and giveing them a good cleaning...

Andrew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
andybob600 said:
i would say take it to a dealer and have them cheak the belt deflection. the deflection i think is how the clutches are lined up to one another. it sounds to me the clutches arnt alighned and there is added stress on the belt and that is what is causing ur belts to be eatened up...just my $.02. u could also try taking the clutches off and giveing them a good cleaning...

Andrew

[snapback]795050[/snapback]​
i had it lined up and stuff.....how do i take the clutches off?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts