Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ive noticed my 05 500ss GTX smokes ALOT. At first i figured it was just the pre mix I ran through the first tank but now I have 120 miles on it and it still smokes really bad. I doesnt do it quite as bad after i ride it for about 30 mins or so but still smokes more than i think it should. Could it be because the oil pump isnt adjusted right? Maybe because im not opening it up enough??? Any body else have this problem?? The oil container is down about 3/8 from full and im still running the original oil the seller put in it (BRP semi syn). Also if I drain the oil and put in Amsoil HP injector would that help out. PPLLEASE HELP! ITS CHOKING ME!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a GTX 500SS also. I find that It smokes rather heavily at start up, hot or cold, but once underway, it doesn't smoke at all. I've experienced relatively higher oil consumption but it doesn't really bother me, a little extra can't hurt. However, at 5500 rpm, the engine tends to get rather noisy - there are different sounds coming from the compartment resembling a heat sheild vibrating or another loose part. I've checked everything and it all seems solid. Took it too the dealer and they said it is normal but man, it sure doesn't sound normal. Other then that and the passenger hand warmers, I really enjoy this machine. The 2006 GSX windshield would be a nice addition next season!

·
Registered
111 Posts
putts said:
I wouldn't worry about it yet. They will use more oil for the first 200 miles or so.
[snapback]309745[/snapback]​
There is no logical reason for that to be true. In a four stroke, okay. But not in a two stroke.

To the original poster, my dealer told me to monitor my oil consumption, and adjust the cable to lean it out until it was around 40:1. Mine started at 24:1.

-Don

·
Registered
267 Posts
Snowman9000 said:
putts said:
I wouldn't worry about it yet. They will use more oil for the first 200 miles or so.
There is no logical reason for that to be true. In a four stroke, okay. But not in a two stroke.

To the original poster, my dealer told me to monitor my oil consumption, and adjust the cable to lean it out until it was around 40:1. Mine started at 24:1.

-Don
[snapback]309787[/snapback]​
The computer keeps the timing retarded for a short period of time to help prevent grenading the engine during break in. That is why they will use slightly more oil in the first 200 miles or so.

·
Registered
160 Posts
putts said:
Snowman9000 said:
putts said:

-Don
[snapback]309787[/snapback]​
The computer keeps the timing retarded for a short period of time to help prevent grenading the engine during break in. That is why they will use slightly more oil in the first 200 miles or so.
[snapback]309903[/snapback]​
Timing has nothing to do with oil consumption.

·
Registered
111 Posts
MowerMan83 said:
thanx snowman, but where and how is it you adjust the cable? Sorry if this is a dumb question im new to the doo scene. My last sled was a 91 Poo Indy 340 lite and didnt do much tinkering to it at all.
[snapback]309878[/snapback]​
I think there is a tech tip on this site somewhere.

Basically, there is a cable, gray I think, running to the oil pump from the throttle cable. A couple of inches above the carbs there is a brass adjuster in this cable. Slide the little rubber boot up out of the way. Then you are supposed to measure the adjustment by pulling the cable out (front or left hand end) out of the brass. The gap you create is either 18mm or 19mm (you'll have to search here somewhere), when the adjuster is set right. It might help to make a little cardboard or tin gauge that is 18mm (or 19, whatever). HOWEVER, my dealer said to ignore that and set it a little at a time until I get it to 40:1 observed oil consumption.

If you shorten the overall length of the brass adjuster, you increase the measured cable gap, and you decrease oil flow. And vice versa of course. At 24:1 usage, it turned out that my gap from the factory was less than the spec (I forget what it measured, I wanna say 17mm), meaning more oil flow. I needed to shorten the adjuster, increasing the gap, decreasing the oil flow. Dealer said go 1.25 turns shorter and try it. I did and I'm waiting for snow.

-Don

·
Registered
392 Posts
I MAYBE BUTTING IN WHERE I AM NOT NEEDED BUT IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO ADJUST YOUR OIL PUMP THEN DON'T DO IT FROM NOTES ON THE COMPUTER. BRING IT TO THE DEALER. IF YOU ADJUST THE WRONG WAY YOU WILL PUMP LESS OIL AND BLOW THE THING UP AND SKI-DOO WILL RIGHTFULLY SAY F.U.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.