Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting new SPI pistons in my 05 500SS. Sled ran fine, so this is just a quick top-end refresh to get through this season. Compression was down to about 115-120, and even on both side, so decided to refresh.

Question: The manual advises 618 sealant on base gasket for the 593 HO, 600 HO, and the 800. But not for the plain 593. There was not sealant on my base gasket on disassembly. Should I use sealant on my base gasket?

Note: I ordered Doo circlips, a circlip install tool, and plan to use the SPI caged bearings. I will pressure test before running it. to make sure the engine is tight.

Any thoughts are welcome !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MachDream - thanks for the quick reply. This forum is great to ask advice. Wish I knew more and could contribute....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So - bought a top end kit with SPI pistons and Winderosa gasket set. The new base gasket measures .540mm on my digital caliper, the old gasket measures about the same. I see on the parts sites that there are gaskets from .40mm up to .80mm in .10mm increments. Am I ok using the Winderosa gasket ?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I would be ok with that...I would however check the fit on the o rings (head/cylinder) supplied in the kit...we have had a few recently that I wouldnt install,and reused factory ones instead...Hardy

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you haven't changed the Pistons before, beware of the factory wrist pin bearings. They will come apart upon breakdown and you'll have needles everywhere. Make a cover to keep them from falling into crank case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts