Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently picked up a 500ss that had issues starting cold. While taking apart the carbs, I found a couple of problems.

The 1st is that the Fuel mixture screw on the Mag side has the tip broken off. Do these screws come in play during cold starts?

The 2nd is that the clip for the needle was bent down. These are the needles with only one position for the clip, and I'm guessing that this was done to act as a makeshift shim? This was only done on the Mag side, which is the same side as problem #1. Maybe the clip was bent to help richen it up due to the broken screw? I also heard the Mag side is sometimes set to run a little richer on the 500ss?

I'm trying to get a new set of carbs before my ride this weekend. However, if I don't, are there issues running it like this for a few hours? Doesn't this only come into play at idle? There are 2 ports that seem to get fuel from this screw, one small one next to the needle, then a larger port closer to the engine. The smaller port is still getting fuel.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
Don't use the carbs with broken tip in there,,,the other stuff can be fixed/replaced but get the other set of carbs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts