Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When should I use it and when should I not use it ? What could happen if I never use it in terms of risk ? Thanx I'm not really clear on its function.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You should use it during conditions of likely carb icing. If you never use it no harm will be done, carb icing will cause the engine to run rich and will eventually stop running. Carb icing is prone to happen at times when the dew point is close to the ambient temp. Usually high 20's and low 30's, and when riding in fine snow dust like when following others.
I've experienced it once after a fresh snowfall breaking trail. My Doo just annoyed me, my buds Yam 600 VMax quit altogether.
A common misconception is that carb icing will cause the the throttle to stick open, it actually occurs in the venturi area toward the engine and is not a safety hazard.
Also, be sure to RTFM. Lots of good stuff.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have a 2002 MXZ 0 that is a very similar motor to your SS. In three years I only turned on the heater when it was well below zero. Otherwise, leave it off.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
when we were in Canada several weeks ago, temps for teens to 20's, and I ran them the whole time. No loss of performance, and no issues.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I leave mine on all the time. I have compared performance(seat of the pants)and cannot tell any difference on or off. As far as iceing goes if it occoures the eng. can LEAN OUT not run rich and we all know what a lean Rotax can do. BOOM!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ripcord said:
I leave mine on all the time. I have compared performance(seat of the pants)and cannot tell any difference on or off. As far as iceing goes if it occoures the eng. can LEAN OUT not run rich and we all know what a lean Rotax can do. BOOM!

[snapback]745879[/snapback]​
Lets NOT confuse carb icing with water/ice in the fuel which can partially plug jets and cause lean problems. Carb icing is when ice forms in the venturi area of the carb because of the induced pressure (and thus temp.) drop. The ice restricts airflow and causes the mixture to go rich. The carb heating is designed to combat the icing in the venturi by heating the carb body. It will not protect against ice in the jets and the resultant lean burn.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well at least everybody has a theory

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have an 05 500ss, does it have heaters? Are they on from the factory? how do i turn them off? Willthis save gas??

Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
michield said:
I have an 05 500ss, does it have heaters? Are they on from the factory? how do i turn them off? Willthis save gas??

Thanks
[snapback]748783[/snapback]​
Yes, it has them. A small red knob on the left side, looks like a fuel shut off. No, it won't save fuel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
GSX800LTD said:
michield said:

Thanks
Yes, it has them. A small red knob on the left side, looks like a fuel shut off. No, it won't save fuel.
[snapback]748939[/snapback]​
Thanks I though that was a NOS knob.LOL

Seriously though, what is the disadvantage of leaving it on all the time?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I believe that the manual indicates you should have the heaters on during warmer temps in the 30's and not when it's really cold. The exact opposite of what most of us would think.

·
Registered
544 Posts
michield said:
GSX800LTD said:
michield said:

Thanks

[snapback]750677[/snapback]​
By warming the carb body (when it's not needed to combat icing) you warm the air/fuel mixture reducing the density and thereby efficiency. Power and economy will suffer (slightly). You may never need to use them.
A good understanding of weather science helps. When the dew point and temp are close, a slight pressure drop (like the one created in your carb.) will cause the moisture to fall out of suspension and the droplets will freeze in the venturi, because when we dropped the pressure, we dropped the temp. as well.

·
Master Electrician
2,304 Posts
GSX800LTD said:
michield said:
GSX800LTD said:
michield said:

Thanks

[snapback]750677[/snapback]​
By warming the carb body (when it's not needed to combat icing) you warm the air/fuel mixture reducing the density and thereby efficiency. Power and economy will suffer (slightly). You may never need to use them.
A good understanding of weather science helps. When the dew point and temp are close, a slight pressure drop (like the one created in your carb.) will cause the moisture to fall out of suspension and the droplets will freeze in the venturi, because when we dropped the pressure, we dropped the temp. as well.
[snapback]751765[/snapback]​
You must listen to this man. He is telling You the truth. The heaters are to be turned on when the temp and dewpoint are very close to the same.If You reed Your owners manual it will say to turn them on around 0 celcius or 32 farenhiet. At these temps the air temp and dew point are more likley to be the same and thats when they'll frost up. If You see fog in the air and it's between 20 and 40f, turn them on.READ YOUR MANUAL!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts