Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 600Carb/500ss MXZ. I'm wondering, what's the best year and why? What upgrades were made over the years that would make we want a newer model year? (I'm looking for a low miles sled either way, but I seen 2008's with <1000 miles on them.)

·
Registered
517 Posts
my buddy has a 2012 i belive it is sport 600 carb, for me thats the best year because to my knolage thats the only year they came with a black chassis, no aluminum to keep clean

·
Registered
338 Posts
Stay away from the 2008's. That's the year that had the problem with the overly lean mixture at midrange. The 05's to 07's were rock solid. Older suspension, but much stronger rev chassis. In 2008 they changed to the XP chassis, which had better suspension, but had a weaker frame in the front. If you're going to beat on it, get an older one. If you are just doing trail riding, get a 2009 or newer.

·
Registered
925 Posts
What are you replacing? if you're on an XP chassis, I'd see it being hard going back to a Rev. I'd love an 09 SS, very light and some problems fixed from 2008. But I do love my 2005 SS. Geared, clutched, 1.5 track, skid mount mod. Higher front end than the 06 & 07 makes it easier to tip in the powder.

·
I picked a stupid name...
1,537 Posts
Stay away from the 2008's. That's the year that had the problem with the overly lean mixture at midrange. The 05's to 07's were rock solid. Older suspension, but much stronger rev chassis. In 2008 they changed to the XP chassis, which had better suspension, but had a weaker frame in the front. If you're going to beat on it, get an older one. If you are just doing trail riding, get a 2009 or newer.
Nothing a different needle can't fix. G&R bracing and a clutch tower brace might be cheaper than buying a newer model.

·
Registered
275 Posts
2012 on up had a different head and jetting is spot on for 2012-2014. They run much smoother. You can't go wrong with any 500ss though. The 08s work best with a slightly richer jetting change. That's the only year to worry about. And xp are as strong or stronger than the rev front end. Get an xp

·
Registered
124 Posts
you guys got me scared now. i have an 08 bought it last year put over 1500 miles on it so far, runs great always starts ,only minor problems like blown track and secondary clutch rollers. whats the problems they had with these years .

·
Registered
838 Posts
10,000 miles on my '08, never rejetted, totally dependable.

Around 2012 SkiDoo redid the engine and it is a dog (power and mpg) compared to pre 2012.

Best year is probably 2010 tnt 600.

mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2008 500ss with over 4,000 miles this year on it, do yourself a favor get gagetguru's specks and go. I will never by a new machine, I have good shocks new seat and it rides awsome, dont ever worry about the motor,

dont have to worry about a lean condition , with the little amount of money I have into, I just laugh when i go riding in my group, with their $11,000 dollar dooo's and the $13,000 dollar yamaha's, and none of them can kep up in the twisty's, I just laugh under my helmet.

·
Registered
452 Posts
From what I've heard the 07s and 08s had the most issues as brp had to lean the engines out to meet emission, this issue can be resolved easily with different needle and jetting (there is a thread on here already that goes through the 2008, trying many different jetting settings and giving the best one). With that being said I wouldn't be afraid to buy one from 2004 to current. My 2004 has been very reliable with no repairs in the 4 years that I have had it and my 09 that I bought this past fall has been great all winter and don't expect any problems any time soon!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes that is the jetting set up by Gadget, Like I stated I have over 4,000 miles so far on mine wiith zero issues, and wont rebuild it again until after next season.

And yes the guys with the $12,000.00 sleds are laughing at me as stated by gtr , when they are making their payments to the bank, I will be laughing at them, i went everywhere with them all year so far, i have great socks, and it rides nice, I drove their machines, very nice indeed but not for $12,000.00. and mine with all of $3000.00 in it, and they stiil cant beat me in the twisty's

Buy a 2008 get all the recalls done if they have not been, change to a 1.25" track, drop a tooth on the top, put gadgets settings in it and go have your self a ball like I am.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just got back from a weekend playing on my friends lake. Brought my 12' renegade 600 etec (5000mi) and my 13 year old sons 06'ss which is now up to 12,500 miles. For the hell of it we were drag racing all the sleds. Had a 2013 TNT 600 etec (2500 mi), 2010 600sdi (4000 mi), and a 2011 GSX 1200 with 6000miles. Only the gsx could beat the ss. I couldn't believe it, the ss had more top end than my renny, and kept right up with the other 2 600's. I love that sled. Bought it new in 2007, my wife put 10,000 miles on it over 6 years and now my son rides it. He is only about 110 lbs which might be helping in the drag race, but I still would have expected new high output engines to beat an 8 year old carbureted machine. These were half mile runs getting up over 100mph. These are great machines.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
From what I've heard the 07s and 08s had the most issues as brp had to lean the engines out to meet emission, this issue can be resolved easily with different needle and jetting (there is a thread on here already that goes through the 2008, trying many different jetting settings and giving the best one). With that being said I wouldn't be afraid to buy one from 2004 to current. My 2004 has been very reliable with no repairs in the 4 years that I have had it and my 09 that I bought this past fall has been great all winter and don't expect any problems any time soon!
Did the 07's also have this issue? I thought it was just 08? Thanks, TB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts