Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sons 500 ss lost a piston. want to know what is going to be the most reliable pitons to replace old ones with? he is
16 years old and rides it hard.

·
Registered
399 Posts
stock if its possible..

·
Registered
814 Posts
Are you going to buy the top end rebuild kit? Might as well. A few companies sell them. I'm wondering what kind of mileage and what year too?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My vote would be in this order: Stock, ProX, SPI.

The ProX are going to be a lot cheaper than stock, and the SPI's will be a little cheaper than both.

·
Registered
21 MXZ XRS 850
3,775 Posts
I rebuilt my 500ss and used Wiesco's. They came with a great Teflon coating and after 4000 miles I still had 138 psi outta them. Yes you have to pay more attention to warm up but that is ok. If I were you I would replace the pto and mag seal too. So just plan on pulling the motor. Good luck oh and be sure to do a leak down test before you reinstall the motor. There is a post on how to build you own leak tester.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
year 2005 mileage 6251 . The reason it lost piston was one of two reasons carb boot had a crack in it did not seem to be all the way through the y pipe was cracked also. We have motor out and plan on a total rebuild . He got lucky it did not hurt the cylinder . Now all he has to do is save his money and order the parts. you play you pay lol .

·
Registered
21 MXZ XRS 850
3,775 Posts
The reason mine went down was a failed PTO seal. 3,999 mi.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good learning experience to tear it down and rebuild it. With ethanol fuel, 11 year old carb boots are probably at the end of their useful life anyway. Y pipe. Ug. Bad design. If he's running it hard, he's running it right. Lol

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
No Wiseco piston. If they are to tight to begin with you are doomed. If you can measure them and get the fit you are ok.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I put Wiseco's in my 05 500SS at 8500 miles. Got 11,000 miles on the rebuild with no problems. I gave the machinist the new pistons and had him fit the cylinders to the pistons. .0055 piston to cylinder difference (it's on the Wiseco box). Also, with the forged pistons I'm very careful about warming up the engine before beating on it. I didn't use stock pistons because I was afraid the ring locating pin would fall out again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts