Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ive been here for awhile and value the first hand information that is given.
Ive got a couple questions.
Everyone on my block has a 500 SS. But after riding this machine Im alittle left for more performance. BRP has some good finacing and pricing packages out there right now. So of all you people out there,is the 600 Carbed a better machine for top speed and low end grunt or is the 600 SDI with its persecion fuel metering system and MPEM ignition curve,worth the headache (as Ive seen alot of people with this machine and their problems they have had form 05's to 06's) I think the 600 and the ring problem is history but it's not much faster than any of the 500's Ive rode( 2 or 3 mph on the radar) Thus the SDI is my preferance, but it seems to be alot of headaches for people out there, and it seems dealers really are not sure how to fix them for one reason or another.
If you look at the dealers orders, the 500 SS and the 600 SDI are the biggest sellers, and the 600 HO carbed is lucky to sell a few units.
I guess one solution is a 800 Rev-X or a Mach-Z, but my Mach-1 keeps me quite happy!! but since I will have 3 sleds Im trying to keep this affordable!!

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
but it seems to be alot of headaches for people out there
\

not sure where you are getting your information but the 600 SDI motors work just fine 04-06 nary a problem! and a headache for a very few.

and while it is a bit more peppy than the older 500SS, it still is ONLY a 600... so if top end speed is your thing there is no replacement for more ccs...

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you're serious, talk to your dealer... Ski-Doo has the deals, whether its on the financiing or the warranty... I personally think the SDI is better. One of the guys that I ride with has the 05 600 ho SDI... He'll walk away from the carbed 600HO (both stock) and the 500ss, while its a nice sled, doesn't have the technology the SDI does... plus the gas mileage is 3-4 mpg better

·
Registered
106 Posts
and bty... the 800 Ptek rocks! if you really wanna go!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
The 500 SS is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYy cheaper than the SDI, so why Pay a LOT more and not get anything for your money?
I feel light years ahead as I just sold My SDI and Bought a 500 SS.
Mine goes 97 MPH on a railroad grade, so how fast do you really plan on going?
Save your Money and headaches from the electronic contraption.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I like the ss but I love my sdi. the ease of starting/maintaining and extra hp is a nice perc for me! And i have had no problems with it so far. 2 seasons of pure fun, not 1 headache!

if I buy a snowmobile that expensive I want the latest and greatest not the old school technology of the ss!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I will give u a report on my fealing tomorrow I own a 04 500ss and have almost 4000 miles on it with not a problem. Have a 05 600HO in my shop right now and will be going out with it in the morning just put new picks in , v force3 reeds and spacer, SLP air intake stiffeners in the front and footboards, new skid plate, and everything in front of the motor. Going to be a shake down run on local trail that should be OK for some good testing

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've had both an 05 500SS adrenaline as well as my 05 600X SDI, and I will say that the SS has more low and mid grunt while the SDI has the techno advantage. The SS is simple but worked flawlessly for me. I like my X, but have already been left sitting due to a pulser coil wire going brittle while on a trip up in Tug Hill (first day of the trip mind you.) Technology is enticing for many reasons, but you won't go wrong with the SS in the engine dept. I got the X because I love bumpin and jumpin and want rebuildable suspension as well as the allure of the fuel injection and not worrying about fuel mix. The puter takes care of all that. The SS averaged 14.5-15.5 for my while my SDI gets 17.5 ish. Not a big enough deal to worry about in my book + you save a lot of $ when you get the SS (bearing in mind that you have throw away shocks on the SS.) After trading up for the X, I'm not 2nd guessing why I did it as I love the X, but I really love them both for different reasons. I'd boil it down to if you want a reliable motor that is borderline failsafe, get the SS. If you want a mogul mashin monster that begs for more but can be a little persnikety with powerplant issues...get the SDI. Either way it would be a win win IMO.
Nut

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Compare prices and I'm sure your mind will be made up.

I just bought a 05 500 SS Adrenaline out of the Crate for $5,500. A SDI would have been ALOOOTTTT more $$$$$$.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Deadman said:
Compare prices and I'm sure your mind will be made up.

I just bought a 05 500 SS Adrenaline out of the Crate for $5,500. A SDI would have been ALOOOTTTT more $$$$$$.
[snapback]699222[/snapback]​
They are two totally different sleds,SO IS THE PRICE!!!! If the money thing is not an issue, buy the SDI!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i want to know how to turn off the govenor off of my sled. the owner before me had it on for his kids and it bothers me that i cant go past 65 mph.

·
Registered
166 Posts
jon_mxz550 said:
i want to know how to turn off the govenor off of my sled. the owner before me had it on for his kids and it bothers me that i cant go past 65 mph.
[snapback]699381[/snapback]​
I think the 550 only topps out at about 70 to 80 mph correct me if im wrong but check your belt it may be sliping and causing some top end lose.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have a 600 HO with no issues other than rings (replaced under warranty) Put in 370 mains, dropped the needle and have ridden from 0 to -25C with no problems. Have had up to 15 mpg (Canadian) with it as well. Not a very torquey motor, had some shifting problems, but a stiffer secondary spring cleared that up. Never had a 500ss or 600 SDI give me any problems. I really like it !

·
Registered
137 Posts
bigf150 said:
I like the ss but I love my sdi. the ease of starting/maintaining and extra hp is a nice perc for me! And i have had no problems with it so far. 2 seasons of pure fun, not 1 headache!

if I buy a snowmobile that expensive I want the latest and greatest not the old school technology of the ss!
[snapback]698397[/snapback]​
Thanks for your help. I got the immpresion (from the readings out here) that there was alot of problems with the 600 SDI's. Not mentioning the 600 Carbed (rings).
I just did a rough calculation and see the 500 SS to 600 SDI is about 1500.00 to 2000.00 diference in price (Canadian Dollars) plus tax. I guess theres enough technology and trick parts to justify the difference. I just hope its performance and its everday running are worth the dollar difference.I'll be extemely happy if its suitably faster than the SS ahd the 600 carbed.
I agree with you whole heartly about the priced difference and getting what you pay for. I just hope the SDI doesnt turn out to be an expensive headache. Im going to make darn sure my Skidoo dealer knows how to fix these things.

Just a small story. A friend of mine's 06 500 SS drop a wrist pin circlip, 8 miles it had on it.Locked up solid.It took BRP 3 weeks to get the engine and install it. I told him he should of keep his old machine to fill in the time, but why do you need an extra sled to fill your time, while the other ones in the shop?

Thanks For The Edvice
Have A Nice Winter

·
Registered
137 Posts
pasnownut said:
I've had both an 05 500SS adrenaline as well as my 05 600X SDI, and I will say that the SS has more low and mid grunt while the SDI has the techno advantage. The SS is simple but worked flawlessly for me. I like my X, but have already been left sitting due to a pulser coil wire going brittle while on a trip up in Tug Hill (first day of the trip mind you.) Technology is enticing for many reasons, but you won't go wrong with the SS in the engine dept. I got the X because I love bumpin and jumpin and want rebuildable suspension as well as the allure of the fuel injection and not worrying about fuel mix. The puter takes care of all that. The SS averaged 14.5-15.5 for my while my SDI gets 17.5 ish. Not a big enough deal to worry about in my book + you save a lot of $ when you get the SS (bearing in mind that you have throw away shocks on the SS.) After trading up for the X, I'm not 2nd guessing why I did it as I love the X, but I really love them both for different reasons. I'd boil it down to if you want a reliable motor that is borderline failsafe, get the SS. If you want a mogul mashin monster that begs for more but can be a little persnikety with powerplant issues...get the SDI. Either way it would be a win win IMO.
Nut
[snapback]698412[/snapback]​
Thanks for your reply.
Your overview has been my fundamental question about these two machines.The 500 definatly is vertually flawess and you usually get what you pay for.
I think Id fallow your route in the 600 SDI. For the extra dollars you get more technology working for you and some gas mileage benifits. Along with very little maitainance,spot on fuel metering optimized ignition timing,a detionation sensor (in case of bad fuel) ,this machine and its extra dollars spent seem worth it from a fundamental point of view. I also think you choice of the X pachage is right. Everyone in time will always wants to spend some time and money on performance updates (reeds, clutcing,shocks etc).
The X package gives you all that.So why not spend the money now and enjoy the ride. With the SDI-X youve done just about all you can to get a sled to perform at its best. If I get a 1000.00 of the price, ride for free for a year and not to have spend my time looking for performance parts etc, hey that makes alot of sense to me.

Have A Very Good Riding Season And Thanks For Your Help

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like my '06 SDI, but I'm not sure that all the bugs are worked out. I bought it because I really like the technology -- you wouldn't buy a car with carbs, now would you? So why a sled? That was my reasoning, and to boot I thought that the much better control of fuel/air mixture ought to help the longevity of the motor -- no lean conditions, knock sensor, etc. Better starting, too, since it should be (theoretically) impossible to flood.

And so far mine starts fantastic -- one or two pulls at any temperature, every time. I've had no plug fouling issues. Great gas mileage -- up to 17mpg U.S. on my Summit with big 144" track.

But I don't like the throttle response. It lacks a certain sharpness. Others have reported bogging around 7000 to 7500 RPM. Mine doesn't exactly bog, but it feels dull at that crucial RPM range on light throttle, right at cruising speed. It feels like they still don't have the fuel mapping down right, which is hard to understand after four years of production.

So I don't know -- if top speed is what you want, then definitely get the 800 Powertek. It's a lot stronger than the SDI, and it does have some technical advances -- most importantly, a knock sensor which will prevent a major cause of burndowns. And judging from what people report here, it sounds like the PTek is better developed than the SDI.

·
Registered
2 Posts
outdoorsguy48 said:
Ive been here for awhile and value the first hand information that is given.
Ive got a couple questions.
Everyone on my block has a 500 SS. But after riding this machine Im alittle left for more performance. BRP has some good finacing and pricing packages out there right now. So of all you people out there,is the 600 Carbed a better machine for top speed and low end grunt or is the 600 SDI with its persecion fuel metering system and MPEM ignition curve,worth the headache (as Ive seen alot of people with this machine and their problems they have had form 05's to 06's) I think the 600 and the ring problem is history but it's not much faster than any of the 500's Ive rode( 2 or 3 mph on the radar) Thus the SDI is my preferance, but it seems to be alot of headaches for people out there, and it seems dealers really are not sure how to fix them for one reason or another.
If you look at the dealers orders, the 500 SS and the 600 SDI are the biggest sellers, and the 600 HO carbed is lucky to sell a few units.
I guess one solution is a 800 Rev-X or a Mach-Z, but my Mach-1 keeps me quite happy!! but since I will have 3 sleds Im trying to keep this affordable!!
[snapback]697493[/snapback]​

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time user. Somehow I got my name on the other guy's post????????
I have a 2005 SDI and a 2005 SS. My brother and I just got back from a trip to the UP. The SDI is a bit faster. If you burn premium fuel the SDI will get 17 - 18 mpg. If you burn 87 unleaded the SDI gets the same mileage as the SS - 14mpg. We did run across stations that did not have premium. I think the SDI engine is greatly over rated. I would buy the SS, put better shocks on it, and go on a few trips with the money you will save. Both sleds suck oil at the rate of a quart every 100 miles. The SDI was using a quart every 90 miles until the dealer re-set it. The cable is adjusted as far as it will go. I just sold a 2002 600. It would go 165 miles per quart of oil @ 14mpg gas and had over 3000 trouble free mile on it. I do not see any progress with the engines. I also do not see how an engine that burns this much oil can be EPA compliant.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts