Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this under 'MXZ' but I figured maybe there are more rotary valve experts in 'general'.

I was helping my neighbors friend look at his 500 that he nuked. He already has the jugs done and new pistons (they thought it was just a top end before I looked at it and pointed out the crank wasn't spinning very well...) Now he plans to have the crank done too, but after pulling the motor we noticed the rotary valve surface on the case is scored from the meltdown. Can this be fixed, or is it ok to run it with a few grooves in it if you clean it up? What's involved in getting it fixed, can they just machine it down and then run a thicker plate or something?

·
Registered
367 Posts
My Sea doo had the same problem this summer. Part of the ring jammed between the RV valve and case. Inspect the rotary shaft very closely for trueness. When those things jam there is a lot of lateral force on the shaft. It bent the shaft on mine just a little. That is going to cause the brass gear to wear out in no time which means another rebuild. The brass gear probably needs to be replaced as well.

My crank was fine it was just the jammed gear.

BTW I left the grooves in mine and it ran fine.(20 hours so far) I just cleaned up the burs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.