Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have a 2002 mxzx 440. I saw another post by I think 440man on her about how he might need news or somehting to that affect. heres my symtoms, and could you be bale ot diagnose it for me?

I was riding in NJ on a lake, and dooing alot of WOT runs for about 1/8 mile at a time. I proabbly did 15-20 1/8 miles WOT runs all day, with some aggressive trail riding. But as the day went on, just about time to pack it in, my 440X seemed groggy. LIke it had fouled plugs and/or running on one cyclinder. I changed the plugs a multitude of times, but no better results really. I cleaned the carbs before the season, and ALWAYS use ISO. I just went out and check my compression and its 155psi both sides, same as when i threw new rings and pistons in during the summer...I did clean the raves this summer, but never replaced the bellows. I just pulled my reeds and there is no cracks, but there is some wear on the outer most edges of some of the pedals. Nohting bad, but its deff. wear. So, i was thinking, could it either be the RAVE bellows or worm reeds? WHen i loaded he ronto the trailer after "limping" her back, she was smoking alittle bit. I really appriciate guys...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just pulled my RAVES again, and on the reverse side of the white plastic pieces that sits almost inside the green bellow were loaded with oil. I dont know if it could be a combination of bellow and worn reeds? I mean, could worn reeds maked it run like a dog? She didn't even want to go over 7,000..Almost felt as if a pinned her, she lost power...

·
Registered
106 Posts
on my 03 i had a broken reed and still ran to 8400 rpm and i had the same thing too and found later it was from the seals.
after i replace them it ran very good.
so try checking your seals.

·
skidlid
603 Posts
Pull the airbox off and start up if excess gas is coming out the backside of carbs your reeds need to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
What did the plugs look like when you took them out? When it started running crappy did it run crappy at all throttle positions? Did it clean out on top end, etc?

My '02 almost always ran crappy once the fuel solenoids failed. When there is a problem with the solenoids, the sled goes into a rich mode to save the engine. I am not saying this is surely your problem, but could be. The fix is new carbs.

If this ever happens again you can quickly tell if you lost a cylinder because the y-pipe will be cold on one side. I doubt this was your problem because the sled won't even pull itself off the line with a cylinder down.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This thread is 10 months old and the author hasn't been on it 3 months!
But good info for anyone doing a search!! 05SDI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts