Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

Not relevant to anyone really except to the racers and 440 trial riders. I rode a 04 Polaris 440 XR today. It wasn't the same as the rev at all, but NICE to say the least...Anyway, the lugs on poo 440's are so much STIFFER than doos 440's. Seems like you just grab the throttle on a HARDPACK track or trail, and the lugs wont even bend, let alone coming into a gas station with the doo with the 440 lugs screaming in agony...I dont know...I just wish the big lug 440 doo tracks were alittle more "stiff"...sorry for the irrelevant topic, just wanted to express my thought...lol _chris

·
Registered
343 Posts
I agree too

way too soft

440man said:
hey guys,

Not relevant to anyone really except to the racers and 440 trial riders. I rode a 04 Polaris 440 XR today. It wasn't the same as the rev at all, but NICE to say the least...Anyway, the lugs on poo 440's are so much STIFFER than doos 440's. Seems like you just grab the throttle on a HARDPACK track or trail, and the lugs wont even bend, let alone coming into a gas station with the doo with the 440 lugs screaming in agony...I dont know...I just wish the big lug 440 doo tracks were alittle more "stiff"...sorry for the irrelevant topic, just wanted to express my thought...lol _chris

[snapback]260548[/snapback]​

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
is the track on the 04 racers not a hard enough compound for u?? my 03 track sucks cuz the compound is too soft, i want an 04 track!!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
OK 440 man good post, was this the Pro X chassis? I am assuming it was...

Anyway, yea I rode one of those last season and I agree they really pull out of the hole on hard pack or even loose snow way better than REV 440.. But when the bumps come up I would much rather be on a REV...

Any snow to ride the Hill this week???

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was the PRO XR 440...not the consumer model...

no, the hill only has 6'' of snow to speak of and too mnay guys beat'n the sh&% outa it...stay home...the COLD weather moves in on thursday with SNOW everyday...hopefully thats winter..lol

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
There is no consumer model for 440 so it must have been the trailing arm chassis. Anyway, this stinks no riding on Hill again for third straight week. Business owners up there must be really getting nervous....

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
I love the tracks on the 03/03/05 Pols. They are MINT.
I love the hard paddle for the initial holeshot and just plain ol for beating the "edit for bad language" outta the sled on the trail, there is muh fuh traction.

Ever since my pals with their pols got those tracks under the sled now they take me out of the hole and pretty good I'll admit.

Have to give the Pol credit to super impressive valving from factory for any of the 03 newer models as the low speed valve circuit on the rear shocks are soft.
You can stand on any of the stock factory models, one that has not been touched and when stand on the running board there is at least 2 inch setin.
The suspension is soft and plush yet can take a compression bump just as hard as any Rev 440 from what I see and try out myself.

I am on the process of making my low speed valve stack on my shocks just as soft as a pro-x/iq pol 440. Most impressive. The sled stays level across "low speed valve action bumps" and the suspension moves.
The doo's the valving is much stiffer...

Since I do this now I can drive between 5 to 10 mph faster in bumps that normally would make my sled go *ping ping* across the top. When the track is off the ground, you have less control. I ended up getting the next softer front coil spring and rear torsion springs. I even set my torsions on lowest pos. and coupler blocks at uncoupled. My standing position has improved also. I used to hook my toes in while standing driving and now I drive in sno-x position with my feet towards the back of the running board where it starts to curl back towards the tunnel. Now I have more confidence when i come to compression dips or rises where it makes the sled go straight up in the air. The sled has less influence on my body, the sled goes up and i still can keep my feet on the running boards then rotate the handlebars through towards the direction where im going and because im up high i can see the ground better to time getting on the gas again to straighten me out. When I find my position, my feet are slight forward than I like, i just wait for a bump and let the sled kick my feet off the running boards so then my feet fall back and find the "honey spot"

..00000oooooh i can't wait to go riding this weekend. *drool*
I can't wait to buy an 06 sled with rigid paddle track *double drool*

...so add this all up, it will give hands down holeshot and traction control in any bumps using low speed valve stack circuit to POL with their stiff paddle track.

.....sorry Doo, but Doo could use softer LSVS circuit even in sno-x.

Joey

·
Registered
605 Posts
One of the bad things about the Polaris Pro-XR tracks is they are 14" wide. They work great for trails, hardpack and Sno-X but don't have the floatation for powder and off trail riding. This past weekend there must have been half the town up at a local riding spot and the 440 Pro-X's were getting stuck a lot. Some of the 440's had been converted to 800's but the 14" track wasn't doing them any favors.

I agree with Joey about the Pro-X ride quality. My buddy, who outweighs me by probably 75lbs, can leave me in the dust when going full out on a choppy, mildly whooped out trail. Last year I was doing everything to hang onto my sled while it bucked and swapped and he just floated over the trail with his "edit for bad language" firmly planted in the seat. Strange but true. This didn't sit too well with me considering I have the race sled adn he has a consumer model '04 Pro-X2. Fortunatly on a twisty trail through the woods or in the big whoops it's a different story.

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
Dynamo^Joe said:
I love the tracks on the 03/03/05 Pols. They are MINT.
I love the hard paddle for the initial holeshot and just plain ol for beating the "edit for bad language" outta the sled on the trail, there is muh fuh traction.

Ever since my pals with their pols got those tracks under the sled now they take me out of the hole and pretty good I'll admit.

Have to give the Pol credit to super impressive valving from factory for any of the 03 newer models as the low speed valve circuit on the rear shocks are soft.
You can stand on any of the stock factory models, one that has not been touched and when stand on the running board there is at least 2 inch setin.
The suspension is soft and plush yet can take a compression bump just as hard as any Rev 440 from what I see and try out myself.

I am on the process of making my low speed valve stack on my shocks just as soft as a pro-x/iq pol 440. Most impressive. The sled stays level across "low speed valve action bumps" and the suspension moves.
The doo's the valving is much stiffer...

Since I do this now I can drive between 5 to 10 mph faster in bumps that normally would make my sled go *ping ping* across the top. When the track is off the ground, you have less control. I ended up getting the next softer front coil spring and rear torsion springs. I even set my torsions on lowest pos. and coupler blocks at uncoupled. My standing position has improved also. I used to hook my toes in while standing driving and now I drive in sno-x position with my feet towards the back of the running board where it starts to curl back towards the tunnel. Now I have more confidence when i come to compression dips or rises where it makes the sled go straight up in the air. The sled has less influence on my body, the sled goes up and i still can keep my feet on the running boards then rotate the handlebars through towards the direction where im going and because im up high i can see the ground better to time getting on the gas again to straighten me out. When I find my position, my feet are slight forward than I like, i just wait for a bump and let the sled kick my feet off the running boards so then my feet fall back and find the "honey spot"

..00000oooooh i can't wait to go riding this weekend. *drool*
I can't wait to buy an 06 sled with rigid paddle track *double drool*

...so add this all up, it will give hands down holeshot and traction control in any bumps using low speed valve stack circuit to POL with their stiff paddle track.

.....sorry Doo, but Doo could use softer LSVS circuit even in sno-x.

Joey

[snapback]262329[/snapback]​
So what is this valving setup going to cost me?
PM a price to me.

Alex

·
Registered
487 Posts
The suspension on my 04 has been fighting me all year on the track.The middle sized bumps really seam to upset the rearend way to much.I have the torsion springs set to softest since I weigh only 145,high speed is set about middle & same with low speed.I have tried different things but the rear never feels planted at all,way to nervous.It gets really bad on trailing throttle over rough stuff.Any ideas?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts