Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a '99 440x L/C. I am thinking of switching over to the high compression domes for a radar run this weekend, but I have some questions before I do this.

I am in the learning process, so bear with me.

The high comp domes will give me more hp. Does this mean I need less pin weight, or does it mean I will need more. Or, maybe I will not even need to touch the pin weight?

What will adjustments to the pin weight do? I read that less weight will allow for higher RPMs, right? I would want to keep mine around 8500 which is where I am at now. Since I will have more hp, I should be able to add more weight, and get to the higher RPMs faster, is this correct?

I should probably mention that I have the Goodwin clutch kit (came with the sled).

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If I remember correctly 99' with HC domes on pump gas is a taking a risk of melt down so I hope you are planning on running race gas. I dont think that you will need to mess if the pin weight at all, just clicker down one, two at the most if at all.

·
Auto Tech
1,095 Posts
remeber running a high comp head or domes, this means you need to run race fuel. I would not touch the clutching until you see how it does with the domes. Also be careful now that you are running a higher compression you can easily over rev the sled. So I would not raise the rpms, and since you have a clutch kit already, and it is running at 8500 rpm, this means the sled is making its top power at that rpm, so if you raise it you will lose hp and potentially risk blowing the motor. Also with a high comp domes, you will have to rejet, I know when I cut my head I went up 10 on my jet size, so you might want to start there. And goodwin knows ski-doo's so that clutch kit should be pretty much dialed in for top performance. But like I said try it out and see how it runs. Later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.