Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make the ultimate agressive trail sled/ditchanger. I am on the fence. Either get a 440X (03-06) or a 600X . How do the 440's make for a trail sled after trail heads, oil injection, big tank? They only thing that is really making this descion hard is that I would want RER and have read it is very hard/expensive to do. So please help me out with this decision! Anyone who has a 440 in mass or NH or VT or NY PM me.

Thanks - Mitch*35

·
Registered
126 Posts
A 440 with all trail setup are great trail sleds and you can pick them up pretty cheap. Talk to revbaron he can hook you up with RER for a pretty good price i think it was around $500 i forget tho. Good luck

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
ya i would like a 440x someday as a hardcore trail sled, but:

-What is the cost for them from the factory? i would like it brand new. went on the ski-doo site and there isnt a price for em.

-How much to make it trail-ified? big gas tank, oil injection, all that good stuff

-what else would have to be done to make it a decent trail sled?

Andrew

·
Registered
252 Posts
440's make great trail sleds. They have gotten popular enough that you can find them used that haven't been raced. 03's were especially good for trail riding. A couple of things about a 440. 1st they are light, 2nd the steering stops are a lot different than consumer sleds. They have a lot tighter turning radius. The only time I miss rer is unloading from the trailer which isn't very hard, but my wife's 500ss has it so I'm a little spoiled. I can turn around on most 2 tracks without getting off. I have oil injection, big tank, s4x clutching. Honestly, it's very turn-key, I do very little tweaking unless the temperatures get really extreme, but so do the guys that ride other sleds. All-n-all I'd say the benefits of the 440 are well worth it. The setup time will be little more but they come with many upgrades from the factory like vforce 3 reeds, better front bushing, beefier/better components in the from/rear suspension, etc. Hopes this helps in your decision making.

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
RevX_440 said:
440's make great trail sleds. They have gotten popular enough that you can find them used that haven't been raced. 03's were especially good for trail riding. A couple of things about a 440. 1st they are light, 2nd the steering stops are a lot different than consumer sleds. They have a lot tighter turning radius. The only time I miss rer is unloading from the trailer which isn't very hard, but my wife's 500ss has it so I'm a little spoiled. I can turn around on most 2 tracks without getting off. I have oil injection, big tank, s4x clutching. Honestly, it's very turn-key, I do very little tweaking unless the temperatures get really extreme, but so do the guys that ride other sleds. All-n-all I'd say the benefits of the 440 are well worth it. The setup time will be little more but they come with many upgrades from the factory like vforce 3 reeds, better front bushing, beefier/better components in the from/rear suspension, etc. Hopes this helps in your decision making.
[snapback]689137[/snapback]​
Prices?? u dont have to tell me, its ok, jus wonderin.

Andrew

·
Registered
278 Posts
andybob1001skidoomxz said:
RevX_440 said:

Andrew

[snapback]689162[/snapback]​
Honestly, I'd wait to see what they unveil this year than make a decision, I wouldn't be spending money modding this and that before I saw what they had to offer. Warrenty on a new sled can be well worth the wait.

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
cottagecreep said:
andybob1001skidoomxz said:
RevX_440 said:

Andrew

[snapback]689162[/snapback]​
Honestly, I'd wait to see what they unveil this year than make a decision, I wouldn't be spending money modding this and that before I saw what they had to offer. Warrenty on a new sled can be well worth the wait.
[snapback]689191[/snapback]​
i was jus wonderin, im only 17 and really cant afford the sled right now, but someday hopefully i will. i would still love to have one tho!!!

Andrew

·
Registered
527 Posts
AWESOME SLED...

once you get the 440x dialed in, they are the sled to ride. we have two 03 440x. great light weight torque machines. what i love about them is the handling in cross country riding. WOW. the suspension is THE BEST. i think they have so many +++++++++ and very few ----------------. the chassis will take alot of punishment. just my .02 good luck in your decision. oh by the way if you ride with 600/800 sleds. they will be amazed with how fast you are unless you ride on lakes.

p.s. why put in oil injection???

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
joev said:
p.s. why put in oil injection???
[snapback]689242[/snapback]​
Is it jus easier to take a few quarts of oil with ya. the only thing is u prolly have guess how much oil to dump in if u gas up and ur tank isnt empty. how much oil is in a 1 tank of gas anyway??

Andrew

·
Registered
667 Posts
No 440 will rail corners like an 06. An 06 800X is probably the best trail sled made.
It weighs no more than the 600 and corner to corner has vicious acceleration. If you are riding groomed trails, the 440 just doesn't go fast enough or corner well enough. If you add huge bumps and like to jump more then 5' in the air or ditch bang then the rules change and the 440 is awesome.

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
rollingwiththepflow said:
No 440 will rail corners like an 06. An 06 800X is probably the best trail sled made.
It weighs no more than the 600 and corner to corner has vicious acceleration. If you are riding groomed trails, the 440 just doesn't go fast enough or corner well enough. If you add huge bumps and like to jump more then 5' in the air or ditch bang then the rules change and the 440 is awesome.
[snapback]689322[/snapback]​
I would have to disagree with u on this one. 440's r built to be quick in between the corners for racing. if u put a pipe, can, and K&N air filters on it that sled would absoluly rip until 80-85, and in where i live that is plenty of power. i would take a 440 over an 800 any day!!

Andrew

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
Mitch*35 said:
I what ive read it is an outstanding all around sled but a sick ditchanger tight trail sled....right? no good for lakes or railbeds? sounds perfect for what and where and how i ride!

Mitch*35

[snapback]689344[/snapback]​
thats what i have heard too. i could care less bout rippin across a lake at a million miles an hour. give me a 440 + very rough trail + all the gas and oil i need = fun all day long!!! oh, and a huge jump!!!

Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.