Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of doing a 136 track conversion on my 05 440 just wondering if anyone has done it and what kit you used? Is it worth doing ? And will it suck the life from the little 440? Thanks in advance for the help

·
Shredding the Gnar
5,017 Posts
High speed trails suck in general with a 440, a 136 won't help that. If you do alot of ditched or off trail I'd go for it. I've got a 136 on my 700 and would seriously contemplate putting one onto my other 440 if I didn't want to race it.

·
My keyboard expels profanity
4,296 Posts
my buddie had an 03 440 stretched to 136 and loved it bridge bumps better and was great off trail he was running 1.5 paddle
The extra 7 inches of track on the ground does nothing to bridge the bumps. This type of performance upgrade however, may take place within the fantasy of the operator.

Fallacy,
Buffy

·
Shredding the Gnar
5,017 Posts
The extra 7 inches of track on the ground does nothing to bridge the bumps. This type of performance upgrade however, may take place within the fantasy of the operator.

Fallacy,
Buffy
Small shudder bumps maybe. When I rode a 151 the bridging was noticeable. 440 with a 136, still rides like a tank.

However, 7" greatly stabilized my sled while doing switchbacks climbing in the powder. 121 was twitchy and not predictable to how fast or far it would turn around

·
My keyboard expels profanity
4,296 Posts
Small shudder bumps maybe. When I rode a 151 the bridging was noticeable. 440 with a 136, still rides like a tank.

However, 7" greatly stabilized my sled while doing switchbacks climbing in the powder. 121 was twitchy and not predictable to how fast or far it would turn around
I counsel anyone that believes the 136" rides better than the 121" because of "bump bridging" to actually get off their sled and look at the spacing of moguls, as this theory is absolute bunk.

I may agree (havent ridden one) that a 151 may smooth out some "chatter" but Im not sold on bumps.

I agree 100% on your comment regarding stability in powder and predictability in handling.

S to the S to S one W,
Buffy

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Not a direct comparison, but a 2 up Outlander Max (or any other 2-up ATV) rides 10 times better through the bumps/rough stuff as a standard ATV and the wheelbase difference is 8". Can't directly comment on the sledding aspect but would think the results would be similar.

·
Metalhead
9,090 Posts
Going from 121 to 136.
With the 121 the driver approaches a small 1'~2' high bump, the front ski shocks can compress an example 4 inches and not bottom out.
Turn around change to 136 and repeat driving through the same bump, the front ski shocks will compress to full and bottom out.

With the 121, that particular length, the union of the existing spring force and high speed valve stack calibration will overcome the length of the sled and allow the sled front end to be urged up into the air while the sled drives through the bump.

With the 136, that extended length will cause the front end to remain level for a longer period of time while the sled drives through the bump. The extended time period the sled remains level causes the front shocks to compress farther before the sled drives through the bump. The shock calibration does not have the time to urge the front of the sled up into the air.

On cross country 136, it is common for the front shocks to have a reduction of the low speed shock valving reaction to speed up the shock compression to match the chassis time, however increase the high speed valve stack to prevent the shock from bottoming out.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I counsel anyone that believes the 136" rides better than the 121" because of "bump bridging" to actually get off their sled and look at the spacing of moguls, as this theory is absolute bunk.

I may agree (havent ridden one) that a 151 may smooth out some "chatter" but Im not sold on bumps.

I agree 100% on your comment regarding stability in powder and predictability in handling.

S to the S to S one W,
Buffy
I did the 136'' stretch last year on my 440/700 and the most noticeable thing for me was obviously the difference off trail; on trail the sled is much better at keeping the front end down when getting on the gas hard, and also drag racing there is no comparison that the 136 just hooks up better. Bridging bumps. . . . did notice much of a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts