Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently in the process of finishing up my 77 motoski 400 resto and noticed that it has a double chain in the chain case. The Everest 440 parts sled I have has a triple chain.

Was the double chain spec'd for the 400s and the triple spec'd for the 440s? The Reason I ask is because someone has transplanted a 440 into the futura. I can't see why the double chain won't work for the 440 but thought I'd ask before I finish bolting everything back up. Maybe I need to have the triple chain? Can anyone tell me what the driveshaft should have for endplay in the chain case?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Was the double chain spec'd for the 400s and the triple spec'd for the 440s? The Reason I ask is because someone has transplanted a 440 into the futura. I can't see why the double chain won't work for the 440 but thought I'd ask before I finish bolting everything back up. Maybe I need to have the triple chain? Can anyone tell me what the driveshaft should have for endplay in the chain case?
Yes, the 400 was double where the 440 was triple because of the additional power of the 440.

I would think if you were a hard rider with the 440 the triple chain set-up would be needed.

I have seen end play anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" maybe as much as 1/2"

If bearings are installed too far on the shaft this will increase endplay.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OSN, were the chain cases the same? I’ve got the triple chain installed in the 400 chain case and it doesn’t look to be tensioned properly. Maybe this is how they were?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original double chain has 18 tooth sprocket on top and 34 on the bottom, the triple has a 20 on top and 38 on the bottom. When install the triple in the chain case the tensioners hold the chain so it practically touching when at rest, when I grab the secondary and turn it the direction it would normally turn the chain “tensions” to a position that looks a lot better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update, found that the bearing on the secondary drive was loose resulting in too much end play. After setting bearing properly the chain now sits as it should.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The 400 & 440 Futura used same chaincase.

If I remember correctly the triple chain was close to touching in the middle between tensioners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts