Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I was waiting all week to go play in the powder this Saturday. Only to have to give up and drive back down the mountain.

It was so deep and light if you fell down in the snow it was almost imposible to get back up. You couldn't use your hands to get back up back because they sunk in very light snow that had no bottom.

Here's a picture of me trying to leave the main trail, only to get about 15'. The front of the sled would stay up and the track would dig strait down.

View attachment 50227

Here's a cool picture of a tree with a 5 foot diameter that fell over the main road with about 5' of snow on it. Its about 10' over the snow level on the road. I'm sitting on my summit stuck in about 5' of powder. I was trying to follow a 800H.0. long track summit but got off track and sunk it deep. If you look real close you'll see my son stuck in the middle of the picture about 35 yards away, just on this side of the fallen tree. This picture was taken only at about 5500 feet. 7000-8000 probably has at least 8 to 10 feet of powder. More than even the best sleds can handle. Now I'll have to wait for the California Sun to pack it down and put a little more weight into the snow. Just too much light snow for a 136".

View attachment 50229

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Man awesome looking snow, you need to practice up on your powder riding, there's no sittin' on the seat in those conditions

·
Registered
575 Posts
skidoo_only said:
I was waiting all week to go play in the powder this Saturday. Only to have to give up and drive back down the mountain.

It was so deep and light if you fell down in the snow it was almost imposible to get back up. You couldn't use your hands to get back up back because they sunk in very light snow that had no bottom.

Here's a picture of me trying to leave the main trail, only to get about 15'. The front of the sled would stay up and the track would dig strait down.

View attachment 50227

Here's a cool picture of a tree with a 5 foot diameter that fell over the main road with about 5' of snow on it. Its about 10' over the snow level on the road. I'm sitting on my summit stuck in about 5' of powder. I was trying to follow a 800H.0. long track summit but got off track and sunk it deep. If you look real close you'll see my son stuck in the middle of the picture about 35 yards away, just on this side of the fallen tree. This picture was taken only at about 5500 feet. 7000-8000 probably has at least 8 to 10 feet of powder. More than even the best sleds can handle. Now I'll have to wait for the California Sun to pack it down and put a little more weight into the snow. Just too much light snow for a 136".

View attachment 50229
[snapback]747272[/snapback]​
Oh yea, sux to be you eh? Cali guy has too much snow and we're cryin for it in Canada. Whats up with that??

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
I was out there in it today and can attest to the totaly sic pow we were riding in. Went in to Round Lake from Bassetts. People were stuck all over the place. Even the big bore sleds with 160 plus inch tracks were floundering. Made it out to Mud Lake and got to carve in 6 plus feet of incredible powder. California does not get this dry and fluffy powder very often. Kicked my A$$ just getting anywhere!

A buddy of a buddy of mine was out, riding without a helmet, hit a rock that sent him out of control. While trying to hang on to his sled, he had the throttle pinned. He slammed into a tree as his sled went past. He tore his face up fairly bad and partialy detached an ear. The lacerations seemed to be the extent of his injuries. He was able to ride out and someone in his group took him to Portola for medical attention.

Wear your helmets kids.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Party Chief said:
I was out there in it today and can attest to the totaly sic pow we were riding in. Went in to Round Lake from Bassetts. People were stuck all over the place. Even the big bore sleds with 160 plus inch tracks were floundering. Made it out to Mud Lake and got to carve in 6 plus feet of incredible powder. California does not get this dry and fluffy powder very often. Kicked my A$$ just getting anywhere!

A buddy of a buddy of mine was out, riding without a helmet, hit a rock that sent him out of control. While trying to hang on to his sled, he had the throttle pinned. He slammed into a tree as his sled went past. He tore his face up fairly bad and partialy detached an ear. The lacerations seemed to be the extent of his injuries. He was able to ride out and someone in his group took him to Portola for medical attention.

Wear your helmets kids.
[snapback]747338[/snapback]​
Snow blind or powder drunk?? You west coast guys are whack

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
I hope Skidoo_only doesn't mind, but I would like to use this thread as the official California weekend thread.

Here are some pics from Lakes Basin.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Party Chief said:
I hope Skidoo_only doesn't mind, but I would like to use this thread as the official California weekend thread.

Here are some pics from Lakes Basin.
[snapback]747345[/snapback]​
Don't mind a bit. Awesome play ground you've got there! I was going to take some killer pictures, but couldn't make it up the hill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.