Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to here feedback from 4-stroke users in the high arctic. We live in Resolute Bay, NU and just ordered 2 skandic swt 2008 machines from Iqaluit. I would like to use mine through dark season if i could, but i am not sure how safe that is since i usually go seal hunting alone. Have given up on 2 strokes, as even when using the max flow jets we are still burning up pistons in the -38 to -45 weather. I know i will be perma-mounting a genset in the back cargo wired up to a block heater and batt warmer, but i am still nervous of these machines since it is IMPOSSIBLE to use the emerg pull start in that cold. (the biggest guy in this town tried to pull start our outlander 400 for us in only -32c and he couldn't get past a slow thug, thug.

We will be using these machines alot come spring, and i was also wondring, since these have a rad, can u use them no probs in that time when there is no water on top of ice, but all the snow in gone or hard pack??? that would be nice if they don't overheat like other liquid cooled ones. Oh yeah, crossing cracks: when the cracks get big (like 20 ft-ish) can these iqaqsak over them well? they are pretty heavy but does the wide track/skiis make this safer?

thanx in advance

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would like to here feedback from 4-stroke users in the high arctic. We live in Resolute Bay, NU and just ordered 2 skandic swt 2008 machines from Iqaluit. I would like to use mine through dark season if i could, but i am not sure how safe that is since i usually go seal hunting alone. Have given up on 2 strokes, as even when using the max flow jets we are still burning up pistons in the -38 to -45 weather. I know i will be perma-mounting a genset in the back cargo wired up to a block heater and batt warmer, but i am still nervous of these machines since it is IMPOSSIBLE to use the emerg pull start in that cold. (the biggest guy in this town tried to pull start our outlander 400 for us in only -32c and he couldn't get past a slow thug, thug.

We will be using these machines alot come spring, and i was also wondring, since these have a rad, can u use them no probs in that time when there is no water on top of ice, but all the snow in gone or hard pack??? that would be nice if they don't overheat like other liquid cooled ones. Oh yeah, crossing cracks: when the cracks get big (like 20 ft-ish) can these iqaqsak over them well? they are pretty heavy but does the wide track/skiis make this safer?

thanx in advance
just change the oil and get a block heater and inline heater how much snow you guys got i am in rankin inlet we got a little

·
Registered
37 Posts
just change the oil and get a block heater and inline heater how much snow you guys got i am in rankin inlet we got a little
Thats what i say put thin oil and a inline circulating heater,should b good,im here in cambridge Bay lots of snow and ice
i used to live in Rankin b4.Ordered the expedition tuv the other day 600sdi,for Sask.going down for the winter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

thanx in advance
No SNOW!!!!!! We had 3 day blizzard with clear skies, 45kts winds. Now there is no snow, just bare rock and big drifts
Can't even get down to the beach without scraping the heck outta my skiis

So from someone from rankin and baker lake here eh? cool. And i saw cambridge bay too, i was just there last month passing through, and visited with (David) Qamajuk. I went to school in Rankin, Arctic College there, i remember Dorothy Tootoo, Mike Shouldize? umm some ppl from baker lake that were in business admin, Jukipa and Stan, a few Itinuar's thats about it... Holy $%% it is over 1000 miles south but cold as sin there!!! Fall was nice, but it ended fast, and WINDY! Wind never seemed to stop. I think I frost bite my ears just walking from he new college to Quickstop in October lol

Is there much snow there now? There was plenty in town in cambridge last month, but i don't know about on the land. Looked pretty good from the twin otter... Lots of tuktuk you lucky buggers!

Oh yeah.. Last Air brought the machines up... Northmart didn't put the (promised) block heaters in, but will ship them. Put battery warmers under the seats, one machine starts good, the other is more fussy. Not too cold yet, only -20 to -27C so no chance to see how they will be in the cold yet, but the bad machine starts, stalls repeatedly. Engine light comes on once in a while when its running and warm though, so somethings not right

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Hello fellow Nunavumiut ... qanuipi? 4-strokes are good if you have inline heaters and maybe a battery blanket!? I was in Resolute Bay a few years ago ... I couldn't imagine dark season as some light did show up when I was there ... cheers fellow Nunavumiut/DooTalkers,

Otokiak(Jason Todd)
Rankin Inlet, NU
CANADA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts