Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
If doo says they cant do anything about the warrnty then I would get on the phone and say you will take your business else where, that will get their attention.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
With a half decent dealer to work with they should be able to get it covered under warranty.

I think he did a lean seize from running it out of fuel several times, its going to have to be pulled apart and inspected though.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It blew on the 30th and you were out of town with it right????? Just got home and able to get it to the dealer right???? I think you are getting the idea here. They will cover it!!!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't think it lean seized for running out of fuel. We had only done 90kms when the engine first stopped. Thats 55 miles on 10 gallons of gas? We 'thought' it ran out of fuel because of the VERY incorrct fuel gauge reading on the '03's. Other trips that machine did better than mine for mileage. I'm thinkin' the thing died then, and while we were putting fuel in it 'freed up'.
When we were putting the extra 3 gallons I had the guage jumped up to 1/2 tank so there was probably fuel in there.... I just never checked anything until Bruce said he couldn't pull the engine over when it last died, about a klik from where we we last put in fuel. And the plugs have no signs of piston material on them. The tops of the pistons feel fine by feel of a screwdriver on their tops.
He says temp guage showing normal temp. whenever he'd look at it. Maybe its not the bottom, could be a blown thermostat and engine cooled quicker than guage could react or when he wasn't looking so it squeezed a piston.
Almost feel like putting it in my shed and pulling y-pipe due to curiousity BUT past experience is telling me otherwise!!!!
I had an '88 Stratos and a '91 Safari LCE. Those machines, heavy and some say butt ugly, were bullet proof. The LCE with its 467 engine had about 14,000kms when I sold it. It's still running towing kids around some farm south of here. The Stratos had a strong 503 engine but found it too wide at the time for trails.
After that my experience with BRP went downhill. '97 Mach 1 700 triple... ran great... as long as dealer kept pistons in it... and 3 engines within a year span. '97 Formula 583.... 2 sets of pistons within 500kms of being new. '02 MXZ800X... lets not even go THERE!!!!!!. 56 kms. into maiden voyage being towed only to find out there's more recalls on that machine I dare to remember. MANY trips to dealer with that one!!! Finally after I installed '03 carbs on the machine though it hasn't caused a moments hesitation. Runs strong, decent mileage and I still think, as do a few others, the yellow/black are sharpest looking machine on the snow... still.
And now this. Reading these type of sites and being a mechanic myself I know BRP are in for a rude awakening. Not everyone is looking for the lightest machine, dependabilty is key. Yamaha has it. A few will outwardly laugh at this but inwardly know its true. And there's ALOT of people feel same as I do. Next machine will be a 4-stroke.
Anyway have to see what dealer will do.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the machine back from the dealership yesterday. Was the PTO cylinder and piston which piled up. Top of both pistons looked fine but completely around the PTO piston skirt scored up.
Had jetted machine down 1 size, to 370, and installed a ceramic Dyno-Port single pipe and can. They figure that I should jet up two sizes from stock with the exhaust system on. Contacted Dyno-Port and stock jetting fine unless engine work done or aftermarket reeds installed. But going to re-install stock exhaust just in case.
If anyone looking for a "just out of crate" '03 800HO Rev there's one there for $9200Cdn out the door. Dressed up with body panels, fixed windsheild, handguards and warranty. Sharp looking machine with the yellow panels. $8700 if someone wants the stock shocks back on as they installed the HPG piggy backs on it.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
BlairM7c47c said:
If doo says they cant do anything about the warrnty then I would get on the phone and say you will take your business else where, that will get their attention.
[snapback]698328[/snapback]​
LOL, that'll make em nervous.

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
PTO side= bad crank seal....a known issue on all 03's.

Search on here for seal kit and you'll find lot's of people with the same problem that Doo never fixed...kinda like the bad rings that are on the 03's and 04's.

good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You post up about BRP reliability when your engine goes down, then after it's fixed ( by the way was it warranty?) inform us you made jetting changes and installed an aftermarket can and pipe. Seems unfair to call manufacturers problem, doesn't it???

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oldslowsledder said:
You post up about BRP reliability when your engine goes down, then after it's fixed ( by the way was it warranty?) inform us you made jetting changes and installed an aftermarket can and pipe. Seems unfair to call manufacturers problem, doesn't it???
[snapback]710200[/snapback]​
Not really. It was above zero degrees, machine doesn't have DPM and Dyno-Port says to run stock jetting. According to the jet chart we were right on. Many dealers have no issue with pipe's as long as jetted. Remember machine didn't fail due to leaned out, but something messing up the skirt.
There have been MANY stock machines go down for no apparent reason. As Rev-Baron stated there is an issue with crank seals from factory, which by the way I did place a retainer on at my cost to cover up BRP's screw up. Want to talk about the infamous piston rings? My '02 800, more recalls and garbage carbs than I should have had to endure after spending $12,000 for a machine.
BRP do have an issue with reliabilty. I'm glad they addressed it again in my case but it should never have happened and the pipe had nothing to do with it. I'm just going to put it back to stock exhaust because I did manage to purchase an extra year's warranty so when it fails again, and it will experience has taught me, no hassle.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a side note on an issue which has been discussed and beat to death here on this forum but this being my first experience due to being a ZX chassis rider and Bruce's machine limited riding..... MAN those 600HO's are pigs on fuel!!!
Out yesterday, 4 of us, beautiful day for a run to Whitemud Falls. The 600HO ran great and my son absolutely loves it but it has no range. He ran out of fuel after 145kms and that was WITH an extra 2 gallons of fuel we gave him!!! Granted we were playing quite a bit in really nice powder but so was the F-7, ZL600 and mine. So my somewhat modded '02 MXZ800X had to tow him the remaining 35kms, and did it on a tank of fuel. When it quit for fuel it made some stumbles first and he wasn't heavy in throttle so he just backed off and killed the switch.
Before anyone takes offence to my thoughts on BRP reliability and MY modded '02 I have to clarify something. Mine has A LOT of work done to it and it now runs extremely stong and reliable BUT only after the updates were done AND I got rid of the garbage carbs on that machine plus updated rings. Even with updates and everything stock it was hit or miss riding, espicially trail riding when in mid-range with the non-hooded carbs.
Anyone want to make power, and they will, or have reliability plus better range on the older machines with those carbs:get rid of them and get the newer style.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts