Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
I have always run 6" of carbide on my 1200.. The sled came with 4"(I put those on the outside) I like the bergstrom triple points and decided to try the 4" this time. I think the sled has enough weight on the skis where 6" isn't really necessary especially with a non studded track. I hope I'm not disappointed. Anyone else running just 4" of carbide ? I'm riding tomorrow w/ the new skegs and I guess I'll find out.

·
Registered
292 Posts
my experience is you should be alright with 4 inch carbides. The reason to put larger carbides was pick give the track more bit and the sled pushes in the corner. The longer carbides adjust for picks.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
Less carbide on the bar just wears that part of the bar faster.

-grover

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Less carbide on the bar just wears that part of the bar faster.

-grover
Good point. I'll wear out the bar before the carbide.. I've even done that with the 6" triple points, got the bar so thin on one set I'm lucky it didn't snap right off

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
2x on bar wearing faster with less carbide. I'd go 6 for a few bucks more for longevity.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
I've always get a bar with the most carbide just for the wear factor. The bar is usually factors the most with how the ski "bites" in the snow, as the carbide usually has the sharp edge taken off pretty quick.

-grover

·
Registered
2022 XRS 900R
1,285 Posts
I've been running Everlaster Blade-z by Snow Tracker. Its like the blade on your skate with carbide down the center. The whole runner wears down slowly always exposing the carbide, they basically stay sharp until they are worn out. Got 8000 km out of the last set. Really like them, been using them on my 1200's for the last couple years.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rode w/ the 4" triple points today.. Love them.. Steering was lighter yet plenty of bite/grip on icy turns. This could be because they are new though and yeah, they prolly won't last as long as the 6" because the wear bar will get too thin... Oh well, fun experiment. 6" of carbide is NOT needed for a 1200 136" w/o studs. Plenty of ski pressure, plenty of bite at least for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts