Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys I need advise, been reading alot of posts on this clutch, but when you get into all the spring combos I admit its outside my knowledge right now. Im running a Cudney pb80 and his secondary helix and spring too, at 8 pucks I noticed a bit of belt slippage in deep wet snow but not bad, problem was I was only spinning 8500-8600 rpm, so I dropped to 7 pucks as per Bills suggestion, now rpms are 8800-8900 but with too much slippage to keep it this way. So can I change springs to accomplish my rpm goal which is 8900-9000. I appreciate any suggestions

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am using the CVtech spring in primary and 10 pucks. Maxed out at 9000rpms.

11 pucks maxed out at 8800 rpms

Doc Doo clutch set-up.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am running 9 pucks 135-292 primary spring , green compression spring in secondary stock helix ,gates carbon chord belt, running 8800-to 8900 rpms

my belt would slip at 8 pucks and loose speed ,,for me I am thinking maybe different helix next year and purple spring to try and more studs ,i have all the parts on it with reflash

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I am using the CVtech spring in primary and 10 pucks. Maxed out at 9000rpms.

11 pucks maxed out at 8800 rpms

Doc Doo clutch set-up.
what secondary spring and helix? i also see where nobody is mentioning what weight of rider does as far as spring combos

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
what secondary spring and helix? i also see where nobody is mentioning what weight of rider does as far as spring combos
Dont forget about what track also. The 800/1300 cvtec spring is working, i have a 700/1600 id like to try this year also, all with bills cr9 helix and silver spring

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Dont forget about what track also. The 800/1300 cvtec spring is working, i have a 700/1600 id like to try this year also, all with bills cr9 helix and silver spring
that is in newtons?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
get a hold of doo doc he has them

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I like the 700/1300 and 800/1300 with the silver spring.. and the 700/1600 is in mine now with the purple... will tune in the weight today but the shift curve is good with it with the purple seoondary, This spring with the silver had too big of span and climbing rpms- will go from 8k on hit and climb to rev limiter. it does not have the instant snap.. trail riders it may be okay for.. it will likely end up at 108-112 grams, low speed cruise rpms are low with a lot of belt clamp.. top end mph good.. but not that instant hit that i go after...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Id like to find a low engagement rpm spring, I do some exploring completely off trail, winding through woods and hill climbing at slower speeds, where a higher rpm isnt needed, it would make it less jumpy as well with throttle input. But when out on open areas, trails ,snowed over roads, lakes ect, I want as much hp going to the track as possible so reving high is important when hamering down. i hope I can find a balance that will deliver, low engagement good belt clamping to avoid slippage, and then let me rev to 9k when oni it

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get hung up on 9000 RPM just because you read it on the internet somewhere.

I found performance best if when hitting it from a roll to see 8400 at the hit and climb to 87-8800 with header and RB3.

RPM up at 9000 is fine if its cold out however. As you see it can all go up into belt slippage when trying to run that high.
iM basing my wants off of the dyno chart, these engines make more hp the higher you spin them, but Im learning quickly about clutch limitations

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
You are giving up some low end torque/pull when you start running up in the rpm band, you need lighter weight or heavier forced springs thus not loading the motor in the lower rpm's. If you run it like Mike K said you'll find it to be a good combination of low end pull these 1200's are know for and top end charge.

-grover

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
iM basing my wants off of the dyno chart, these engines make more hp the higher you spin them, but Im learning quickly about clutch limitations
What dyno chart is that that shows power at 9000 is better than 87-8800?

I'm all for RPM when the power is there. In the mean time, please post up that dyno sheet. I'm guessing that no such dyno sheet exists, but someone told you this somewhere along the way? Was perhaps a ported head and bored TB setup too. Because MBRP with tune or RB3 is not that high with otherwise stock engine.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suspect you may be right about the ported head&Tb, I respect your knoledge very much. Id been under the impression the dyno results i referred to had a steady although small upward curve to the point where over 9k wasnt worth the increase, so 9k was my target. I have gained most of my understanding on here, be it hphindy or bill c.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Don't get hung up on 9000 RPM just because you read it on the internet somewhere.

I found performance best if when hitting it from a roll to see 8400 at the hit and climb to 87-8800 with header and RB3.

RPM up at 9000 is fine if its cold out however. As you see it can all go up into belt slippage when trying to run that high.
Fastest top end for me to date is 8750 - 8800 .... from there up and it starts to slow down and belt temps rise.

I would like to add that adjusting for the belt you are going to run and stick with makes a difference... I have seen anywhere from 200 to 400 difference in rpm just by switching belt brands.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to hear 9000+ isnt necessary, ive also heard the gates carbon cord belt runs a few hundred less rpms, compaired to a doo belt, is this true?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Good to hear 9000+ isnt necessary, ive also heard the gates carbon cord belt runs a few hundred less rpms, compaired to a doo belt, is this true?
Haven't ran a carbon yet but between 383 , 391 and dayco xtx my rpms change... they drop in the order that I posted them.

Biggest drop is from 383 to xtx ... I'm sure not all sleds and clutch set ups react the same but mine does.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I went from 383 doo belt to carbon chord and my rpm's went up I had to add 1 more puck to get rpm's back to 8700-8800, so it was complete opposite what I expected after reading ,,but I bet different spring combos would effect that

1 - 20 of 30 Posts