Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple project sleds. 1975 Moto Ski Nuviks actually. Mostly because I have no self control. Anyway One needs an engine (which I have). The other has an engine in it. Hoods are a little beat up but find for riders. The chassis are very straight and rust free.

As I was working on one I realized it has a 399 transplanted. I would like to wire the 399 up to the wiring harness. Is this fairly straight forward following wiring diagrams? Or am I going to run into problems? The 399 was initially electric start, is this going to cause a problem? Will the stock exhaust a concern? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Alright I got it running and have it mostly figured out what I need to do. got the key and headlights power wires figured out. Just need to figure out where they plug into the wiring harness.

I have two yellow wires that run into a very large voltage regulator(I'm guessing for E-start that I won't be using). Do I have to use the large regulator or can I use the smaller one on the snowmobile?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The smaller voltage regulator should be just fine on the 399 engine as they didn't have a large magneto wattage output. If that is an E-start rectifier you won't want to use it anyways.

If the engine is really old you may not be able to use a high wattage bulb.

If in doubt pull the flywheel and check the rated output stamped in the outside ring.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I got it going and running strong. Have the a 340 transplanted in the second one and running, just some odds and ends to finish up.

The 399 seems to have two wires from lighting coil that ran into the old rectifier. I just ran one into the wiring harness and taped the other one off. Is this ok? Or do I need to run both into the harness?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Ok, I got it going and running strong. Have the a 340 transplanted in the second one and running, just some odds and ends to finish up.

The 399 seems to have two wires from lighting coil that ran into the old rectifier. I just ran one into the wiring harness and taped the other one off. Is this ok? Or do I need to run both into the harness?
I am not 100% sure but I believe you will need to run the other side into the wiring harness or ground to chassis.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

one to the regulator,other to ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts