Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had heard bad things bout chatter box setups so i was thinking bout going with a 2 way radio & throat mic set up. one thing i noticed was that they screwed up the 2 way radios now & they almost all require a FCC license to operate. what it is, is the GMRS. which is what is supposed to give you longer distance & beter reception. i went to the FCC website & any radio that is listed GRMS you need a license to operate. what makes it so bad is that there are radios that are FRS but they are almost all GMRS also. also the FCC license was $80 for a 5year license, but you are responsible for proper usage, so if you loan it out & some one violates the regs you're in trouble. maybe im just being paranoid.

the radios that i saw that were FRS only were either crappy or had no mic jack. WTH. i really dont wanna use a chatterbox.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check out this website as well. I have been looking all around for throat mic's and this will work with my motorola radio's. They seem to have a good range on them so I am hoping something like this will work.

Look to the bottom for the helmet version
Throat Mic

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
jbird90 said:
Check out this website as well. I have been looking all around for throat mic's and this will work with my motorola radio's. They seem to have a good range on them so I am hoping something like this will work.

Look to the bottom for the helmet version
Throat Mic
[snapback]258510[/snapback]​
Click on the video link also to hear actual transmissions, very nice

·
Registered
49 Posts
We use the Motorola radios and the fox throat mics and they work quit well, sometimes it is hard to understand but we have never had a problem with the word stop or basic words like left/right.

·
Registered
341 Posts
when I bought my rino gps two way radio the manual said you only need a license if you use the gmrs stations but if you only use the frs stations then you didn't need a license. but you only get about two miles with the frs stations. and I think five miles with the gmrs.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
clash01 said:
We use the Motorola radios and the fox throat mics and they work quit well, sometimes it is hard to understand but we have never had a problem with the word stop or basic words like left/right.
[snapback]259422[/snapback]​
Would that be Fire Fox mics? I saw those on Ebay and have been looking for feedback on them...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes they are the Fire Fox mics, I bought mine at Dick's Sporting Goods. For 30 dollars. They are a little cheaper on EBAY.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They come with a seperate push to talk button with a velcro loop attached, we run the cable down our jacket sleeve and attach the PTT around our glove index finger that way when you need to talk you just use your thumb to push the button.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts