Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
The 248 type came from the Elan only.Bombardier had a larger version of this engine with the 294 type ( 294 cc )in Citation 300 in '79.Only the bore was different.

·
Registered
357 Posts
HiOctane said:
The 248 type came from the Elan only.Bombardier had a larger version of this engine with the 294 type ( 294 cc )in Citation 300 in '79.Only the bore was different.
[snapback]755271[/snapback]​
not true the tn't r/v 250 had the the 247.3 twin in it

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
skidoo-citation4500 said:
HiOctane said:
[snapback]755271[/snapback]​
not true the tn't r/v 250 had the the 247.3 twin in it
[snapback]755526[/snapback]​
He says TYPE 248,thats why i answer that.Engine type for the R/V was 245 type.

·
Mustard Bucket
1,311 Posts
A 250 twin came out of and Elan. In my opinion a horrible engine, Mine ran like crap, I blame half of it on the Tillotson. Swap it over to a Mikuni And I will probably work great.

Mark

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
MCrisby said:
A 250 twin came out of and Elan. In my opinion a horrible engine, Mine ran like crap, I blame half of it on the Tillotson. Swap it over to a Mikuni And I will probably work great.

Mark
[snapback]757060[/snapback]​
I dont agree with you,those 250 twin were very good.Probably the most reliable engine in those years compared to 340,440 or single for that matter.You didnt have trouble with muffler cracking,vibration.Around here,guys prefer to look for an Elan twin than a single.

·
Registered
371 Posts
HiOctane said:
MCrisby said:

Mark
[snapback]757060[/snapback]​
I dont agree with you,those 250 twin were very good.Probably the most reliable engine in those years compared to 340,440 or single for that matter.You didnt have trouble with muffler cracking,vibration.Around here,guys prefer to look for an Elan twin than a single.
[snapback]757236[/snapback]​
HIOCTANE,

I agree, my 250 twin Elan runs great and starts in a couple of pulls. I love the machine and the twin is a awesome little engine. I have not rebuilt the Tillotson carb for 4 years. Just add a little stabilizer in the summer and you are good to till(otson) next year!

·
Mustard Bucket
1,311 Posts
Well, I guess everybody has their own opinions on these engines. Everybody arund where I live hates them, Especially my dad
When I Bought my elan last year It had not been running in about 10 years. Its needed the carb and pull starter assembly rebuilt. It ran ok for a while, But then it got into this phase of when you'd shut it off, It would wet its plugs. Then after she would flood Itsself when left Ideling, And then that turned into the thing not moving litterally 5 feet from my shed.

So I swapped it for a 250 single from my rusted out spirit and have not had any trouble since. I sold the old engine after along with my old spirit body for $250. That money then went towards fixing up My other sled. If I can find a 294 twin for It I may try one out. It would be a deadly combination with My 78 elan with slides I think.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts