Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer replaced yesterday under warranty. Kinda weird. Just packing for a trip & click, click, click.

Haven't had a bad battery on a sled in a lot of years. Anybody else?? Just bad luck - often wonder if there is a draw on these new systems. (not fond of the taillight staying lit for what seems forever...)

· Registered
1,826 Posts
How long have you had the sled and was it sitting for a while? If sitting was it stored in a warm/hot location?

Do you have a voltmeter that you can use to monitor the new battery? I would... It might head off another problem that was not caught at the dealer.

Yes, batteries can be bad out of the box... but not very often. Yes the sleds do have a slight drain and the batteries have a self discharge rate that increase with temperature. (Hence the questions on was it sitting around and the storage temps....)

· Registered
2,507 Posts
Not sure if it helps but i always disconnect my DESS. If i don't my gauge will stay lit too long for my liking once shut down. Have often wondered if there are other Open-circuits when the tether is left connected. 🤔

· Registered
248 Posts
How long has battery sat idle with no start up, idle, etc… or on a battery tender?

I usually try to start my sled monthly, let it get to normal operating temp, but somewhere between Nov and Oct my sled sat longer than normal with no start up , when I went to start it, it was weak, still started, but slower cranking.

· SkiDoo Guru
22,108 Posts
If you take that battery out in the summertime put it on the bench then you test it every month after you charged it you'll see it loses 40%. I see it all the time with the watercraft batteries same batteries the other thing I see people leaving them on a battery tender all year I don't think that's a good idea either

· Registered
47 Posts
My '21 Enduro had a bad battery. Picked it up in Nov. of '20 and it was in the trailer for about 3 weeks until I got it out to do the suspension setup and had to boost it to start. Dealer replaced it no questions asked.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx for replies.
Nothing out of the ordinary, I stick a 1.5A Batt Tender on sleds couple times in the off season. Always garaged at normal temps.
Dealer checked out system & figured it was just a bad cell.
I had charged it prior to taking sled into dealer & when there - batt was already down to 44%.

Hate dealing with batteries, have enough to worry about with boat batts in the summer season.
Reminds me of the 800Ptek sleds not starting in the cold back in 2012-2016, Hated that. Carried around jumpers & crap.
850's didn't seem to have that issue.
This is my 1st 4stroke. Awesome cruiser sled - bit of a porker - fast - bit too much electrical tech tho....thus maybe some charging/batt issues. Hope not.

· Registered
197 Posts
I haven't had a bad battery yet in a sled starting with the Estart Summits, charge the battery in May and again in Sept and just before riding. Make sure the Dess is disconnected.
My 2012 Evinrude 300 has the factory battery but it also has a master disconnect that I use as an additional security switch in the summer. Charge and test before the May long weekend and charge again in Oct/Nov before winter. Interstate battery.
We have 2 2019 Spark and last summer because of lack of use both required new batteries. It seems that they have a built in parasitic discharge (GPS) that requires use at least once a month and disconnecting the battery prior to storage with a charge in fall and in Spring prior to use.
My 2019 Defender is still on the original battery as well and I check it occasionally but do not disconnect the battery in the winter when we don't use it much. I do not use battery tenders on any of the batteries. FWIW. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts