Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
22 Sport Expedition 600 EFI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 22 Sport Expedition 600 EFI

I believe it is using way to much oil. Last season the deaaler maade adjustments and finally replaced oil pump.

First rides last week and I still am using alot of oil (see Pic)

maybe it is just me but I dont think so
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fluid Bumper

Yesterday went 85 km and the oil was full to the top right corner of the reservoir.

Last Mon. similar amount was used.

Is it just me or does anyone have suggestions; the dealer doesnt at this point in time.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2010 Skandic 800 SWT 2011 Renegade 800 Etec
1,756 Posts
You also have to keep in mind the way the sled is being driven. If you ride hard wide open most of the time, it will use WAY MORE oil than if you're just cruising around.
Kind of like when it's stucked wide open...Because it is link to the throttle.

· Registered
161 Posts
Well one has to understand these things dont have a linear burn rate on oil, it is all ECU driven based on how hard the machine is being ridden. If you could ride it on flat land without stopping 50-60mph, it will use less oil than if you drove the same distance stopping 10 times from a stop sign and hit the same speed, you will use more oil.

I will say that my wife's 600EFI Expedition (23) uses almost the same oil and my 850 if we ride together at the same pace. A few times I have used her sled and have ridden it a bit harder than she does, it will use more.

The problem with your picture is that we dont know where you started your 85km from - if it was full to the bottom of the neck of the tank, it isn't that bad of consumption.

· Registered
163 Posts
The problem with your picture is that we dont know where you started your 85km from - if it was full to the bottom of the neck of the tank, it isn't that bad of consumption.
Disagree, that it alot of oil use for 85 kms.

I just did 130 km of trail riding with my 850 yesterday. Some aggressive and some was off trail playing . I started with a full resevoir and used 1/2 the oil when compared to the picture shown by the OP.

Reactions: JoeDuro and alainm

· Premium Member
30,357 Posts
My 23, still breaking it in, used about that much in 180 km running 50 to 90 kph on groomed trails.
I am hoping that is heavy use and will lighten up after breakin.
Give some gas and oil consumption numbers, even if approximate. I find the 600 EFI is set abnormally high in oil consumption, close to a higher power per CC 600R or 850. I have not heard why, but ever since the 850 fiasco I assume the oil adjustment was made for the safer side. Robmcdoo's doesn't look right for sure, but all he needs to do is submit the figures to BRP.

· Registered
21 Posts
Hard for me to put numbers with my consumption right now.
I had it basically full, partway up the slope to the neck so as not to have any expansion from warming overflow it.
I rode till I was down to one bar on gas gauge because I passed gas (won't do that again but there was a 20 sled lineup)
I put in 6 US gallons, not full because they wanted $5.85 US a gallon and in town it was $3.69. When I started again it read less than half full. Parked and went in to restaurant for a beverage and when I came out and started again it read almost full and for some reason my trip meter was at zero. It was about a 200 km day but I was tired and never looked at my totals nor filled up to ride again. I generally keep track of this stuff watching my trip meter and always filling to the same spot and doing the math in my head at each fillup. I am used to about 18 to 20 miles per gallon and no oil consumption.
Going on a week long snowmobile getaway this Saturday and you can bet I will watch what it does.
Other threads have already confirmed that the fuel gauge doesn't work right but does anybody know why my trip meter cancelled itself. Was at about 150km

· Registered
503 Posts
I wouldn't compare the oil consumption of the EFI to any of the ETEC, 850 or otherwise. The 600 ETEC is an absolute miser when it comes to oil use, unless you're really laying into it.
Does the 600 EFI have similar markings on the adjustment plate as other oil injected engines, min and max?
That's definitely a lot of oil. My old 550 wouldn't even burn that much even when hot out.

· Premium Member
30,357 Posts
I wouldn't compare the oil consumption of the EFI to any of the ETEC, 850 or otherwise. The 600 ETEC is an absolute miser when it comes to oil use, unless you're really laying into it.
Does the 600 EFI have similar markings on the adjustment plate as other oil injected engines, min and max?
That's definitely a lot of oil. My old 550 wouldn't even burn that much even when hot out.
There is a wild difference in oil consumption in 550s and 600HOEs between sleds or model years or type of riding. The 600HOE for example was a miser on oil for many years, but it changed in the later years when BRP bumped the power. The 600R wasn't just a bump from the original 115 Hp 600HOE to 125-130 Hp. As per independent dyno tests that were following the 600HOE, it did see a progressive increase in power in the later years such as 2016+. When taking a closer look at the original 2004 600HO SDI, they were reaching an oil consumption as low as a quart of oil to a tank of gas for roughly a 70:1 fuel/oil ratio, and they were also dropping engines! If you look carefully at all the engines in the early REV and the ones still employing the ZX chassis that were mostly carbs, but all using the latest oil cable adjustment, BRP had been lowering the oil consumption. That did not last long before realizing it was not working. At the same time Polaris was dropping the oil consumption on their 600s in equal or greater amounts! When looking carefully at the 600s in the past twenty years, Arctic Cat, BRP and Polaris, have all raised the oil consumption. So if we are to compare the latest Ski-Doo EFI, we also need to compare with the latest 600s.

While I have said the 600 EFI appears to be using a lot more oil compared compared to the higher power per CC 600R, there is also a need to compare with the power for a given rpm/load. For example, even if a 600R can consume X amount at 8,000 rpm under full load, a comparison needs to be made closer to what the EFI can accomplish at say 6,000 rpm where the power output is closer to one another.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts