Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
901 - 920 of 979 Posts

· Registered
2022 Renegade Adrenaline 900R
236 Posts
16 fires out of 230,000 units, that's about a 7 thousandths of " A " percent chance. That means there's a 99.993 % chance it won't happen to you. Just ride the darn thing. If it catches fire turn in an insurance claim.
Not sure if these numbers are correct but if they are, how many of the other 229,994 were started with empty tanks stored for an extended time.
I bet if ALL the sleds were run under these conditions the number would be higher to maybe .1% which is .1% higher than any other sled I've ever heard about.

Exactly .1% MORE than is acceptable!
I know some of you boys are joking, but I'm just glad POO stepped up & admitted it.

Snow Fire Flame Gas Heat

These sleds have a Static Electricity Problem.
I believe these POO's catch fire easily anyways since 4 of the 5 sleds that burned to the ground in Maine this year were Polaris's
One was my bud.

We tried to put it out for 20 minutes.................didn't work

· Registered
4,200 Posts
I tried to post the video, but can't make it happen.
Since nobody got hurt it's kinda funny.
He was on new sled next morning at 9am
Did this happen near Fort Kent last year? I think we came across this and helped you guys out. I think he smacked a tree pretty hard if this is the sled. My riding buddy was a fireman and helped out.

· Supreme Snowmobiler
2,291 Posts
16 fires out of 230,000 units, that's about a 7 thousandths of " A " percent chance. That means there's a 99.993 % chance it won't happen to you. Just ride the darn thing. If it catches fire turn in an insurance claim.
I would think your insurance co would have something to say about paying on a sled with a stop ride order on it? But, I would probably ride mine too.

· Registered
236 Posts
Did this happen near Fort Kent last year? I think we came across this and helped you guys out. I think he smacked a tree pretty hard if this is the sled. My riding buddy was a fireman and helped out.
YEP
That was us
4 other POO's caught fire within a couple of weeks
I saw the Mountain Cat that caught fire, but he was upside down off trail for some time so the gas was pouring out.

My bud hit the tree, but only broke the A-arm so it wasn't a horrible crash.
I'm not saying POO's are dangerous, I'm just saying 4 of the 5 in Maine, that I know of, were Polaris

· Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
36,956 Posts
In all the years I've snowmobiled in Maine which is about 52 years I have only run across one sled that was on fire and that was a 2001 or 2002 ski doo 800 in between route 66 on the crossover trail and Northeast Carry... I have pictures of it but they're at my camp...

· Registered
27,744 Posts
Only sled fire I've ever come across was a Polaris. 2015 or 2016 sled.

That sled would fall into the stop ride order had it not burn down to a pile of metal...

Sent from a Galaxy (S10) far, far away

· Registered
236 Posts
Friendly reminder, if you notice your sled is on fire, point it off the trail before you jump off LOL
Actually we pulled it out of the trees and tried to put it on the edge with NO trees.
It was up against dried Pine Branches right behind some houses so we didn't want to burn Fort Kent down & the houses.

Even the Firemen agreed leaving it in the trees would have been disastrous

BUT in most cases, dragging it off trail would be the best choice

Then again, keeping it ON the trail before you decide to hit a tree would be MOST effective

JUST SAYIN'

· Registered
236 Posts
Skidoos burn too! A long time ago a friend of mine had a 300SS Elan. "If I have to mess with that carb one more time I am going to light a match to it !" Surprising how fast a snowmobile with a full tank of gas will burn to the ground.
What's amazing is how hard they are to put out.
We must have had a cracked gas tank or hose popped off cuz we tried for 20 minutes putting out one small flame after another.
We buried it like an IGLOO!
Then we saw another little flame inside the snow & we knew we were cooked...............................I mean the sled that is

· Registered
2022 MXZ XRS 600R
1,208 Posts
Why did they bother waiting. They didn’t really say anything that wasn’t in the notice. Basically a useless article. I also love that they down play it. If it wasn’t a big deal, Polaris wouldn’t have put a stop ride, stop sale, on 230,000 sleds. Not only will this piss off customers, it will piss off dealers who have to implement the fix. Notice there is a no actual commitment to get it addressed before winter.

If the fix costs $25 a sled (15 min labor and or parts) that’s nearly $6M. Still a lot less than a single payout from a single wrongful death lawsuit. Biggest cost is the irritation of customers and dealers.

Reactions: MX-Z Man
901 - 920 of 979 Posts