Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
721 - 740 of 766 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Renegade Adrenaline 900R
185 Posts
I’ll definitely never own one but they need more fail safeties. More computer controlling that needs to pop up on the gauges and telling you what’s going on. Low octane etc. I love two strokes but for the guys in the mountains etc a light blinking p149 or anything isn’t much help. They have iPad screens why can’t it tell you what’s wrong. Who am I to talk though my sled is almost as old as me
YES, Doo has them beat on this.
The engine just dies & you have to re-start motor.
PITA
Doo just de-tunes it unless it's critical.
The Poo you also have to push buttons to change for different gas.
My bud just left it on "Low Octane" setting cuz he was sick of it

·
Registered
185 Posts
Then stay home; there is ALWAYS risk when out riding. Did you only start riding when 4-strokes came out? Also, I always make it home.

All I am saying is the reliability of a 2-stroke should not be a complaint. If you PREFER the long-term engine reliability over lightweight and the power delivery, that's one thing. But no one should be upset that 2-strokes don't last as long just because 4-strokes exist. As I stated, it depends on your priority.
I agree with this. To each his own. We all ride different places under different circumstances.
I prefer 4-strokes cuz I put on high miles & haven't had an engine issue in 17 years with my 4-strokes.
This includes my 25,000 mile Apex that runs neck & neck with today's 850's
If I rode lower miles, off trail, smaller bumpy trails or mountains, I would DEFINATELY be on a 2-stroke.
At the top of Maine, I'm not sure there ARE ANY 2-strokes..........just sayin'

I can say this WHOLEHEARTEDLY:
I trust the Etec more than the Poo Poo. Just my personal experience.
My 2-stroke buds on Back-Pack trips are getting a bit tired of the oil though.
They are all switching over for that reason.

If DOO makes a reliable Trail Turbo good for 10,000 miles like their NA 850's, I'd say they hit it right on the nose.

It's 95 & muggy out & I can't get my mind off of Turbo Sleds............I:e OCD

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
Then stay home; there is ALWAYS risk when out riding. Did you only start riding when 4-strokes came out? Also, I always make it home.

All I am saying is the reliability of a 2-stroke should not be a complaint. If you PREFER the long-term engine reliability over lightweight and the power delivery, that's one thing. But no one should be upset that 2-strokes don't last as long just because 4-strokes exist. As I stated, it depends on your priority.
(y)

Of course there is risk with any of them, but being 100% honest, we all know there is typically less risk with a 4 stroker.

As for what I ride, since 2010 I've owned (4) 2 strokes and (5) 4 strokes (with another 4 stroke on order) so I have no problem mixing them up. The only one that ever left me walking, twice, was my '10 600 Etec. That one was so bad I replaced it mid-season with a 1200. I absolutely did NOT want a 4 stroke at the time but my '09 Etec was also a lemon so I decided to try a 4 stroker. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was, enough where I bought (3) more of them over the years.

In '15 I tried an 800, wasn't a fan, traded it for a '16 1200. In '18 I tried an 850, just an awesome machine. I bought another for '19. for '21 I tried a 900T, liked it a bunch, I have a 900R on order.

I posted this in another thread, I'll post it here too;

The 850 is the real deal. My last sled was a 900T, I have a 900R on order. The 2 before those were 850s. You will not be disappointed.

I honestly believe if you're a 4 stoke guy you owe it to yourself to try an 850.

If you're a 2 stroke guy you owe it to yourself to try a 900 turbo of some level.

They're both awesome machines, they just have different personalities. In a perfect world I'd own both. Neither is the wrong answer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
(y)

Of course there is risk with any of them, but being 100% honest, we all know there is typically less risk with a 4 stroker.

As for what I ride, since 2010 I've owned (4) 2 strokes and (5) 4 strokes (with another 4 stroke on order) so I have no problem mixing them up. The only one that ever left me walking, twice, was my '10 600 Etec. That one was so bad I replaced it mid-season with a 1200. I absolutely did NOT want a 4 stroke at the time but my '09 Etec was also a lemon so I decided to try a 4 stroker. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was, enough where I bought (3) more of them over the years.

In '15 I tried an 800, wasn't a fan, traded it for a '16 1200. In '18 I tried an 850, just an awesome machine. I bought another for '19. for '21 I tried a 900T, liked it a bunch, I have a 900R on order.

I posted this in another thread, I'll post it here too;

The 850 is the real deal. My last sled was a 900T, I have a 900R on order. The 2 before those were 850s. You will not be disappointed.

I honestly believe if you're a 4 stoke guy you owe it to yourself to try an 850.

If you're a 2 stroke guy you owe it to yourself to try a 900 turbo of some level.

They're both awesome machines, they just have different personalities. In a perfect world I'd own both. Neither is the wrong answer.
Another thing I tend to forget to consider is what my 850 is in. If we are talking Renegade to Renegade, the riding feel comes more down to the motor than the weight. I ride a Lynx, and that absolutely changes the riding experience. To me, an 850 renegade feels heavy and stuck to the ground, much the way a 900T felt when I rode one after coming off an 850. As you quoted, if I could own both, that would be perfect. I would have my 850 in the Lynx for maximum rowdy and a 900T for big fast miles.

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
Agreed on the Gade part.

I prefer a 129", but at this point in my life, and for how I ride (100% by myself), I want the 4 stroke part more than I want the 129 part.

As always, everything is a compromise.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Reliably boring...................
I'm not sure where this comes from.
I am NOT arguing since we all have opinions, and I am NOT bragging, but not ONE equally set-up 850 came close to me from bottom to top.
My 900R is quicker, faster & out-accelerates every 850 of both brands I ran against.
That is NOT an opinion just hard-core what happened for 5700 miles in Maine this year.
Every one of those miles was run against an assortment of 5 Doo's & 2 Poo's.
Especially on "roll-ons".
I pull away & I'm a couple better on top then the best running 850's out there.
The Poo 850 will hang with me for a bit I admit.
The ''Good Running" SideWinders will reel me in & pass me on the Big Straights, but he has to catch me first.
Plus those are 4-strokes which is NOT the point I'm making anyways.

I don't bash 2-strokes cuz I DOO enjoy them & believe there will always be a place for them.
Especially in VT & NH
But when someone tells me they are boring, they have to look at it from my perspective.
I'm like a WAITRESS.................I take their lunch order before we leave so when I get to the eating hole, their food will be waiting when they get there.

LOL...................just kidding, don't get mad.....................

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just can’t figure out why you would say you are a Waitress and not a Waiter?
I was wondering if someone would pick up on that!
Sometimes I say things to keep my own humor up & see who's paying attention.
A Waiter indicates a very formal setting in a Ritzy Establishment.
A Waitress reminds me of FLO

P.S: Can you name what show FLO came from? Without looking it up

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #734 ·
I was wondering if someone would pick up on that!
Sometimes I say things to keep my own humor up & see who's paying attention.
A Waiter indicates a very formal setting in a Ritzy Establishment.
A Waitress reminds me of FLO

P.S: Can you name what show FLO came from? Without looking it up
Alice

PS: glad you're not transitioning
:ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not sure where this comes from.
I am NOT arguing since we all have opinions, and I am NOT bragging, but not ONE equally set-up 850 came close to me from bottom to top.
My 900R is quicker, faster & out-accelerates every 850 of both brands I ran against.
That is NOT an opinion just hard-core what happened for 5700 miles in Maine this year.
Every one of those miles was run against an assortment of 5 Doo's & 2 Poo's.
Especially on "roll-ons".
I pull away & I'm a couple better on top then the best running 850's out there.
The Poo 850 will hang with me for a bit I admit.
The ''Good Running" SideWinders will reel me in & pass me on the Big Straights, but he has to catch me first.
Plus those are 4-strokes which is NOT the point I'm making anyways.

I don't bash 2-strokes cuz I DOO enjoy them & believe there will always be a place for them.
Especially in VT & NH
But when someone tells me they are boring, they have to look at it from my perspective.
I'm like a WAITRESS.................I take their lunch order before we leave so when I get to the eating hole, their food will be waiting when they get there.

LOL...................just kidding, don't get mad.....................
This comes from experience Steve, I have a sit on your butt 300 hp 4 stroke turbo after a short bit of lake or high speed trails its like watching paint dry.. riding the 850 on more technical trails is just more fun, riding a heavy 4 stroke through the same trails sucks the fun out of it!

721 - 740 of 766 Posts