Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
701 - 720 of 766 Posts

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
36,645 Posts
There is actually a stop order on Polaris Boost sleds, the clutchs(P22) are flying apart on the mtn sleds. Does Polaris have time to re-engineer the clutch for the 23's or just put a P-85 on it.
It's the bolt not the clutch that is the problem... It's written right in their stop order...

·
Descending doooowwwwnnnnn
3,733 Posts
It's the bolt not the clutch that is the problem... It's written right in their stop order...
Why is the bolt failing? The bolt is the end result. The P-85 had a jam nut and threaded spider. Apparently the P-22 has neither. The clutch bolt holds everything together. From what the poo guys say.

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
36,645 Posts
Why is the bolt failing? The bolt is the end result. The P-85 had a jam nut and threaded spider. Apparently the P-22 has neither. The clutch bolt holds everything together. From what the poo guys say.
Yes the clutch bolt holds everything together when it fails everything else fails... With a failing bolt or a loose bolt you can actually snap the crankshaft the clutch can also come flying off and do major damage at 8000+ r.p.m....

·
Descending doooowwwwnnnnn
3,733 Posts
Yes the clutch bolt holds everything together when it fails everything else fails... With a failing bolt or a loose bolt you can actually snap the crankshaft the clutch can also come flying off and do major damage at 8000+ r.p.m....
The only thing that holds the P22 together is the clutch bolt. No threaded spider or spider nut.
Every time your P22 clutch shifts back to neutral it hammers the bolt head and threads"

That quote is from a guy who knows poo clutchs inside out. The clutch bolt is only for holding the assembled clutch on the crank. The P22 uses the bolt to hold the clutch together from what the poo guys are saying. That is a big difference. P-85 has a threaded spider and a jam nut that gets tq to 300ft/lb roughly with loctite added in.

With any clutch if the bolt breaks bad things will happen, but it seems now the P22 bolt is taking alot more force than the P85.

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
^^^ Like the not mechanically fastened crank bearing on the original 840, all I can say is - how did that design get through engineering??? Wow...

·
Registered
2022 Renegade Adrenaline 900R
185 Posts
^^^ Like the not mechanically fastened crank bearing on the original 840, all I can say is - how did that design get through engineering??? Wow...
This is what scares me about Polaris.
I am NOT bashing them, but that 1st year 850 was an embarrassment.
They "Claimed" "Most Reliable Long Lasting" 2-stroke ever built.
I know of a dozen that did make it to 500 miles.

How can that happen?
Who tests these things?
They should give these test models to me & crazy bastards like me.
If I bring it home in a BOX then you need to re-engineer some stuff!!!!
They had oiling issues on a center bearing. You mean that didn't show up in R&D?????

NO more 1st year sleds for me.
The 900R was basically a T with a bit more.
I was comfortable with that not to mention the ACE motor has been around for quite awhile.

I towed broken sleds for a total of over 50 miles last year.
I'm thinkin' I need to freshen up my tow straps!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
im not bashing either, my poo 850 was great. 3 seasons. Just the new clutch is not good!
Unfortunately if the clutch goes you're walking home, so it's a pretty big deal. 👍

·
Registered
2022 Renegade Adrenaline 900R
185 Posts
I personally think they're the best handling sled out there OUT of the BOX
AND from what I saw, a touch quicker then the equal DOO's

So I'm definitely NOT bashing their performance!
Like I said, I spent every DAMN weekend working on my Winders mostly clutching & trying to get belts to last.

Next year DOO will have a Trail Turbo, but I bet it's been tested to failure a JILLION times

This is gonna be GREAAAAAT!!!!!!

·
Registered
491 Posts

Like I said, I spent every DAMN weekend working on my Winders mostly clutching & trying to get belts to last.

Next year DOO will have a Trail Turbo, but I bet it's been tested to failure a JILLION times

·
Registered
185 Posts

I’ll definitely never own one but they need more fail safeties. More computer controlling that needs to pop up on the gauges and telling you what’s going on. Low octane etc. I love two strokes but for the guys in the mountains etc a light blinking p149 or anything isn’t much help. They have iPad screens why can’t it tell you what’s wrong. Who am I to talk though my sled is almost as old as me

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm a big fan of getting home. 👍
Then stay home; there is ALWAYS risk when out riding. Did you only start riding when 4-strokes came out? Also, I always make it home.

All I am saying is the reliability of a 2-stroke should not be a complaint. If you PREFER the long-term engine reliability over lightweight and the power delivery, that's one thing. But no one should be upset that 2-strokes don't last as long just because 4-strokes exist. As I stated, it depends on your priority.

701 - 720 of 766 Posts