Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Was 108mph on the dash or a radar gun? 1000'? Bare ice? Stock gears?

Track type, track tension, belt, break in and alignment are crucial to good top speed.

Perfect belt deflection is worth a few mph. So is being on the correct clicker.

I personally put 200mm rear wheels in place of 180mm. Some recommend 4 wheel kit and Dupont sliders come to mind.

You mentioned clutch kits. The sled can fall on its face top speed wise for many reasons. Clutch may or may not overcome.

-Conditions (wind, traction, snow, temperature and even air pressure.)
-Drag ( Areodynamics, Alignment, Bearings, brakes, friction)
- Mechanical (belt dust, Gearing, throttle plate sync'd with tps)

I recommend doing your own clutch kit installation. It's very rewarding when you finally gain the desired effect. I also recommend reading the clutching hand book and buying extra springs to see what each component has what effect.

·
Registered
2022 Renegade X 850
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was on the dream meter... box stock sled. Pulls 8200 rmp wot consistently... pulls hard but then it feel like almost the computer is shutting it down... as if you can feel it stop pulling and then just float around that speed.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Your pipe/engine won't make peak power at that high a rpm.
Before you do anything I recommend putting a marker mark on the primary.
Take it for a rip. If you can.

Make sure it shifts out and wipes that mark.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
if you're looking for top end with that sled, go up 1 tooth on top. don't go down the clutch kit rabbit hole. should only be installed on a sled that is already running good. the kit should be used to improve performance, not correct an issue you're having due to bad belt, alignment, etc. As Tgalka and 199Mods said, mark your clutches, make a run, check the tach, if rpm is good on accel, but climbs on top, you could be running out of gear. most 850s come with 27 top, doo puts a 25 in the renegades. 26 top has worked best for me in both the 800 and the 850, but I've always had either the 120 or 129. Getting my 1st Renegade this year, so let the fun begin ! Good luck !

·
ChiefOgemaw
1,198 Posts
What year, model and engine does it have?
My 2022 XRS w 1.5” lug barely hits 100mph. so you are doing really good. Maybe you have 1.25” track?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a renigade that hauls the mail to 106-108mph and then its feels like it hits a wall is there anything i can do to get more top end (clutch kits)?
I’ve also got a ‘22 Renegade. Mine ran 108 on GPS last year consistent on hard pack snow, which was 116-118 on speedo. I went up one tooth on top gear and added Hot Rod Sled Shop clutch kit.

My best advice is choose what’s important to you- if it’s top end, I definitely recommend the clutch kit as they add more tip weight, allowing the clutches to shift out further.

With the added gear and trimming your spring cup a few mm, you should gain some top end.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I did. I, as well as lot of others, think that is the sweet spot for both the Renegades and MXZ’s. Some people like the stock 25 top gear in the Renegades. I personally felt it was a tad too revvy and undergeared.
The top gears are all the same from xp/xs/g4 correct? Just more or less teeth?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I have an 850 Renegade XRS with a 9306c camso track (2 ply, 1.5") and flat out on a plowed track I'm lucky to hit 103mph GPS.
My '22 900R same track will hit 108 gps.
The track just scrubs off speed.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
721 Posts
I’ve also got a ‘22 Renegade. Mine ran 108 on GPS last year consistent on hard pack snow, which was 116-118 on speedo. I went up one tooth on top gear and added Hot Rod Sled Shop clutch kit.

My best advice is choose what’s important to you- if it’s top end, I definitely recommend the clutch kit as they add more tip weight, allowing the clutches to shift out further.

With the added gear and trimming your spring cup a few mm, you should gain some top end.
I went with the 26 top on my 137 Lynx as well. I also removed the 1.5IR track and went with a 1.35 and added studs. I get 112-114( gauge) with a stock sled. Are you doing 116-118 with a 1.5 track?

·
Registered
130 Posts
On my 21 gade X, I’ve added jaws pipe, 1 degree timing, Team Reeds clutching, 2 ply track with studs, 26 tooth and have run 113 on radar on fast lake conditions, this was 121 on my speedo, stock it would run 104in near Perfect conditions on radar, I’m happy with this setup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts