Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with your sled not starting? I purchased a brand new 2022 Expy Sport 600 EFI, which I ordered last spring.
Mine does this, it cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks, you can crank it over for a minute if you want, but it will not fire. Once you screw around with the tether it will fire......sometimes. If you pull the tether off, and push the button down further than it should typically go, it might start, sometimes. Sometimes if you push down on the tether with some extra force it will also fire and run, again sometimes. None of this is predictable, so therefore I have only taken it on one very short trip. It is extremely unnerving having no confidence in my machine. I have taken many videos with a lot of swearing in them, just to document the issue.

This happens in all weather conditions, warm, or cold, or even after pulling the trailer out of the shop, so a room temperature start.

Just curious, normally how do these 600 EFI's start? Just a couple of cranks and then they fire, or is it typical for lengthy cranking sessions? My 1992 Polaris RXL EFI which I also purchased new would start in any weather with one short brisk pull, every time, I mean every time, that thing was bullet proof. I feel like these should fire after two or three turns. I mean its 30 years newer, so technology should have improved?

The dealer said they have never had this issue, and to bring it back. Bringing it back is an option, but it is a day's drive, so that sucks.

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Seems like there is a problem with the RF DESS. Take it back to the dealer for a peak.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, for some reason this is in the Introductions thread....oh well!
I don't think these have a DESS tether, or do they? It just looks like an old school tether, not at all like the tether on my Tundra with a 600 ACE

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You’re right…what was I thinking. It has a key with a tether…right.

Perhaps a tether issue sounds like?…

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ya, something is up, both of my 600 efi start about the second revolution maybe another or two if it is single digits out.

·
Registered
'09 & '13 GSX 1200's 1985 Manta 500
1,160 Posts
Are you doing the quick push and let go on the start button to wake the system up and prime the fuel pump first then hold and crank. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It's a new sled, get it to the dealer!

Otherwise disconnect the tether switch altogether and try without it just to pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you bet, I always let the fuel rail prime up. I took a few videos and am very deliberate, I check the kill switch, check the tether cap, turn the key to prime the pump so to speak, and let it crank, and crank, and crank.
I am taking it back to the dealer, but its a full day, and the weather here has been ****.
I was going to bypass the tether, but, I figured I will let the dealer sort it out. The reason I took videos is because the issue isn't exactly the same each time.

Good to hear that I should be looking at only a crank or two to start, that is exactly what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah you bet, I always let the fuel rail prime up. I took a few videos and am very deliberate, I check the kill switch, check the tether cap, turn the key to prime the pump so to speak, and let it crank, and crank, and crank.
I am taking it back to the dealer, but its a full day, and the weather here has been ****.
I was going to bypass the tether, but, I figured I will let the dealer sort it out. The reason I took videos is because the issue isn't exactly the same each time.

Good to hear that I should be looking at only a crank or two to start, that is exactly what I was hoping for.
same thing happend on my 22 expedition sport 600efi, but it took around 15 times to start it and when it did black gas poured out from under the engine. straight back to the dealer, it didnt even get off the trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts