Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Looking for advice on pilot X skis.
I have a new set of Bergstrom triple points off my 2019 mxz. Has anyone been able to use the old stock pilot carbides on the new pilot x skis?
Also looking for input on a good set of carbides if i can't make the old carbides work.
Thanks in advance

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
I have the old part number Woodys ACE(9500) and just got the new updated part number(9600) for the Pilot X. Side by side the new ones are shorter overall, but all else is identical. I am not sure if a 9500 would fit the Pilot X but will find out soon when I work on installing the new ones and moving stockers to outers. I will post pics when i can with everything I find out on these new(to me) Pilot X skis.

I also have a set of their new Navigators to try too.

Dan

Registered
I found on my 2021 with these Pilot X skis that came with a 1/2 host bar ( I think this is on the XRS only in 2021) for the carbides that if you try to move the stock set to the outside they are a bit wide to fit on the outside of the ski, but with a angle grinder & removing a bit they would work.

2007machzgagn I did have a set of the Bergstroms triple points & these will fit. Mine were the 8" ones & I found these a bit much for this sled. I had used these on my 1200 4 stroke & were a very good set up for that machine. On the gen4 you are a lot more forward & over the skis & I found it didn't take as much carbides to get this sled to turn. The other thing that the Bergstrom set up uses is the ski saver that you get with his setup, as this helps to save the ski , it also makes his carbide ( again 1/2" bar ) get pushed deeper into the snow & really helps it grab better.

Honestly I did find the factory carbides worked very good for this sled with the rider forward position & the large 1/2 host bar ( which I believe is now on the Mach Z & XRS ), it only has about 5" of carbide & only will last about 1 season, but was more than enough for me. It's the first time I've ever been able to use the factory carbides, usually they are only good for the extra runner you need on the outside of the ski.

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
My Go-to runners have been the ACE by Woodys for several seasons now. They are deep,rectangular and last longer then shapers for me. Least push of any runner I have found which we need locally. I just hope with this new Ras X front end and more weight of the 4s I don't hate them. I always run the 8".

Won't be long now till its ride time....Cochrane has some decent snow already!

Dan

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
For those using Bergstrom skegs on the Pilot X and want to shim the skis Bergstrom has a new ski damper to replace the stock Doo part. Guess the design of the X ski doesn't allow to use their simple shims.
I was wondering about this....

I had spoke to Bergstrom back around Sept or so, and asked for the standard shims I always use. Told them pilot X(mach z) skis and they told me they are not gonna make shims for pilot X ski. So I was gonna make my own.

So, you are saying they came up with an entire new rubber right? That makes sense and I will give them a call.

thanks!
Dan

Registered
The stock carbides fit the outside of the pilot X just as the 5.7 did. The carbides have the same profile. I also went with the Bergstrom ski dampeners. The shims I made last year for my wife's pilot X didn't shim as well as the new ski dampeners Bergstrom offers. I got a set for my 22 900R also

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
Awesome Pic!....I was just imaging what their new rubbers would look like, and you posted this pic...thanks!

I will be ordering a set of them for sure, always love to have a level running ski/carbide with even wear front to back. Been shimming my all my Pilots ever since they came out in 2006. I sorta hoped BRP finally cured this with the new X pilot series but that remains to be seen. At least now we have this option!

Dan

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
Here is a comparo pic from the Woodys line. Old 9500 part numbers look to all be updated to the 9600 now. So I assume this means the 9600 will still fit onto OLDER Pilot skis as well.

In person the carbide placement and stud placement is identical, 9600 is just slightly shorter at the front now.

Dan

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Slope

OCD Sledhead
Mach Z 900R
Just a quick note...

I just spoke to Bergstrom now. Found out a few things of interest. First off, these rubbers that will shim the pilot skis, have been around for a few yrs now. I assumed they were new. But they have been around awhile and were actually made to fit the 5.7 pilots.

FF to the new Pilot X ski.....when they noticed their other shim kit(blocks/shim kit) that they had sold for many years did not fit the new pilot X ski, they found that their rubber shim system DID fit the new Pilot X ski perfectly.

So this is why the rubbers are the ONLY shim kit they offer for the Pilot X ski. These rubbers are also harder and will not "sack out" like the stock BRP softer rubbers will over time. All great news.

And also, be sure to order the correct ones for your sled. Since they offer a 2s and 4s version, just like they do with their block style kits. Since the weight of the 4s is heavier, their shim kits for 4s sleds are slightly thicker to compensate.

And since I yak too much....I also was informed that the original owner and guru of Bergstrom (Scott) actually retired over 2 yrs ago and the new owners are in Ontario(Peterborough area) apparently. Good news is the original factory where their products are built remains in ILL and uses all the same build practices.

Dan

Registered
Just a quick note...

I just spoke to Bergstrom now. Found out a few things of interest. First off, these rubbers that will shim the pilot skis, have been around for a few yrs now. I assumed they were new. But they have been around awhile and were actually made to fit the 5.7 pilots.

FF to the new Pilot X ski.....when they noticed their other shim kit(blocks/shim kit) that they had sold for many years did not fit the new pilot X ski, they found that their rubber shim system DID fit the new Pilot X ski perfectly.

So this is why the rubbers are the ONLY shim kit they offer for the Pilot X ski. These rubbers are also harder and will not "sack out" like the stock BRP softer rubbers will over time. All great news.

And also, be sure to order the correct ones for your sled. Since they offer a 2s and 4s version, just like they do with their block style kits. Since the weight of the 4s is heavier, their shim kits for 4s sleds are slightly thicker to compensate.

And since I yak too much....I also was informed that the original owner and guru of Bergstrom (Scott) actually retired over 2 yrs ago and the new owners are in Ontario(Peterborough area) apparently. Good news is the original factory where their products are built remains in ILL and uses all the same build practices.

Dan
Saw the two of them at Sledarama (Peterborough) this past weekend. I assumed the one guy was the same who had been repping Ontario for the last few years. I'll bet he's much easier to get a hold of than Scott!

Registered
Just a quick note...

Dan
Wow good to know..so my 鈥淔riend of Scott鈥 Beanie hat is now a collectible鈥︹..馃ぃ

Registered
I also spoke with them this week and ordered the new dampers for 900r and for the hell of it got a shim kit for pilot ski's that I was told will not work on the Pilot X. Received them Wednesday and guess what, they do fit on the Pilot X. Blocks went into damper like they always did and shims went on ski which are notched like all other Pilots. I don't understand why they are saying the shim kits don't work on the Pilot X's. I just installed them in my 21 XRS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts