Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I stumbled upon that this year 2020 850 MXZ X does not have the rack and pinion steering system like the MXZ XRS. My last two X 850’s has it but I’m not sure if I will notice the difference anyway. As I am a average trail rider.... Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts
Not sure if you'll notice but yet again another example of the continued watering down of the X model sleds.

As it stands now I'd just buy a TNT. If you needed better shocks buy a set and keep them for the next sled too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Posted Today, 07:23 AM

Not sure if you'll notice but yet again another example of the continued watering down of the X model sleds.

MX-Z Man - As a moderator for Doo Talk, I'm not sure what value this statement would be. It would be my hope that the moderator for any forum would provide leadership that would enlighten it's members. Even if the statement was true that rack steering maybe better than standard, are you trying to shock Ski Doo into a different behavior. I will be expecting much more from the leadership of this forum. Please think about your comments as to the role you are trying to assume.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts

MX-Z Man - As a moderator for Doo Talk, I'm not sure what value this statement would be. It would be my hope that the moderator for any forum would provide leadership that would enlighten it's members. Even if the statement was true that rack steering maybe better than standard, are you trying to shock Ski Doo into a different behavior. I will be expecting much more from the leadership of this forum. Please think about your comments as to the role you are trying to assume.
oh Jeeeeeeeez

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

Huh?

·
Registered
5,223 Posts

As it stands now I'd just buy a TNT. If you needed better shocks buy a set and keep them for the next sled too.
so your saying the better gauge ,adjustable riser, rear clicker shock and better resale isn't worth $500-$600, for me it's an x all day long. And my take on the rack steering is I can't notice the difference.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have to agree with MX-Z Man. I always liked the "compromise" of an X as it was a nice fit between the base model and the XRS. Now that the shocks are downgraded from what my 2014 X has, I made the switch to a 2020 XRS this year instead of ordering another X. Yes, there is still a couple of improvements the X has over the TNT, but the shocks drove me to the XRS. For the difference in price, I think the XRS is a great deal.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Have to agree with MX-Z Man. I always liked the "compromise" of an X as it was a nice fit between the base model and the XRS. Now that the shocks are downgraded from what my 2014 X has, I made the switch to a 2020 XRS this year instead of ordering another X. Yes, there is still a couple of improvements the X has over the TNT, but the shocks drove me to the XRS. For the difference in price, I think the XRS is a great deal.
I agree just like $600 more for an x is cheap for the extras so is the $1100 more for the xrs, I think the package price differences are in line.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mxz man is absolutely correct, the x IS being watered down, moderator or not. And the exact reason I ordered my first ever xrs. The 20x didn’t feel like an upgrade from my 18x, without the rack maybe even a downgrade. Preach, Brother!

·
Registered
751 Posts

Is this guy for real??

What a

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
so your saying the better gauge ,adjustable riser, rear clicker shock and better resale isn't worth $500-$600, for me it's an x all day long.
It's a fair price for what you get but I'd rather pay a little more and get adjustable front shocks. That would possibly make me buy one over the xrs.

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts

This is a joke, right?

If it's not, please enlighten me how this is NOT yet again another example of Doo watering down the X model sleds.

You may think we are all Doo employees with a vast array of sleds to pick and choose from, able to try them all and give you our vast opinion of the differences. If that's the case you are truly mistaken.

FWIW I missed last season entirely so the first ride on my '19 will be my first ride in 2 seasons. Sorry to disappoint you.

With that said, if you can somehow convince Doo the moderators on this site all need new sleds so we can answer this type of question I'd be the first guy in line to buy you a cold one. :Cheers

As it is, it's just a thankless volunteer job that requires us to take flack from some of the uninformed. Sorry to disappoint you with my previous answer.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts

Wait, what?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I stumbled upon that this year 2020 850 MXZ X does not have the rack and pinion steering system like the MXZ XRS. My last two X 850's has it but I'm not sure if I will notice the difference anyway. As I am a average trail rider.... Any thoughts?
Let me try to answer this for you as it seems things have got a wee bit off topic. I have a 2019 tnt and my brother has a 2019 X with the rack steering. We are mostly trail riders at the normal speeds. Switching back and forth we have not noticed any difference. From what I have read the rack system really comes into play while speeding though the bumps as it helps with bump steer.

·
Super Moderator
29,369 Posts
so your saying the better gauge ,adjustable riser, rear clicker shock and better resale isn't worth $500-$600, for me it's an x all day long. And my take on the rack steering is I can't notice the difference.
The X is $850 more. For that you get a better gauge, FAR (which I never use) and 1 better shock.

Believe me, I've been on X model sleds for 18 years now. My '19 is an X model. In the past its always been easy for me to justify the extra $$$. All I'm saying is as they keep taking stuff away from them its getting a lot harder to see the value of an X.

·
Registered
742 Posts
This year I bought the TNT just not a year where I felt like buying the X mostly I didn't like red spindles and other red accents. My 2017 850 was a TNT and the next two years were X's for me the difference is very slight. The rear most shock works better but the rest of the shocks are the same. Next year I might change it up and get and X again depending on what advantages it has over the TNT. All this is based on the fact that I'm a trail rider and ride the Ottawa valley and eastern Quebec areas near Val Dor.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts