Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent trip our 2020 Exp SE 900 ACE locked itself in reverse and would not come out to allow us to move forward, with an error message "RER FAILURE" displayed.

After trying a few "things" to get it to release I finally disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and when I reconnected it, the actuator worked again, taking it out of reverse and it never acted up again. Now that we home I am going to see if I can manually shift the transmission (maybe by disconnecting the linkage) should this ever happen again. I will take it to my dealer when they are open again in a couple of days for inspection but I am curious if anyone else has had this issue.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
This is something some of us was concerned might happen, good to know that disconnecting the battery reset the actuator, and also i would look to see if it can be shifted manually, not good on you BRP!!!! <_<

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
On a recent trip our 2020 Exp SE 900 ACE locked itself in reverse and would not come out to allow us to move forward, with an error message "RER FAILURE" displayed.

After trying a few "things" to get it to release I finally disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and when I reconnected it, the actuator worked again, taking it out of reverse and it never acted up again. Now that we home I am going to see if I can manually shift the transmission (maybe by disconnecting the linkage) should this ever happen again. I will take it to my dealer when they are open again in a couple of days for inspection but I am curious if anyone else has had this issue.
Curious to know under what circumstances it stuck in reverse, were you shifting often in a short time span or you just shifted once and it locked?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was a single shift to reverse after a long - 100km +/- run. Was turning around since I missed a junction on a trail .

I wasn't able to play with it today but I will tomorrow, a quick glance tells me it will be relatively easy to shift it manually, but I will confirm tomorrow afternoon.

Reactions: suv1

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took some time with this today.

If you look just above and behind the actuator/solenoid there is a 10mm bolt that couples the linkage to the transmission & reverse gear. The reverse gear is spring loaded, designed to return/default to the forward position/gear, so removing this bolt will put you in forward (as long as the problem is with the actuator or switch).

This bolt was easy to reach with a long extension on a 1/4" drive socket but the space is a bit cramped and it would be easy to loose the bolt if it was dropped. Reinstalling this bolt wasn't too bad in a nice warm garage but it may be difficult on the trail, as the chances of dropping it are great. Placing a rag or glove underneath the linkage to catch a falling bolt could save a lot of frustration and the invention of a new language.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2020 Expedition SE 900 Ace Turbo and I had mine stuck in reverse for a short period of time. Once I was backing out of my garage and then went forward and it stayed in reverse for a while. But then it returned to normal. Happens periodically to me.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Looks like this system got some glitches

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May Update

When putting the sled away for the season it locked up on me again....not pleased.

The dealer took it in right away and told me there was another customer with same sled- same problem.

BRP tells them that "some" sleds had gears and shafts that where not machined to proper tolerances and immediately shipped replacement parts. The local tech tells me that setting the old and new parts side by side on the bench he could see the difference with the naked eye.

The new parts installed and they kept the sled for an extra two weeks so they could start it up and cycle it a couple times a day, afterwards they called me to pick up as its all good to go. I guess I will see next season but at least BRP had an answer and a fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing has been happening to my 2020 Skandic (900 ACE). Gets stuck out of reverse sometimes and/or in reverse other times. Flashes “RER Fail” error message each time. Started the day I took it home from dealership. It can be a major bummer when this happens in a tight spot where shifting btwn forward/reverse without wiggle room. Still trying to diagnose — no fix yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Same thing has been happening to my 2020 Skandic (900 ACE). Gets stuck out of reverse sometimes and/or in reverse other times. Flashes "RER Fail" error message each time. Started the day I took it home from dealership. It can be a major bummer when this happens in a tight spot where shifting btwn forward/reverse without wiggle room. Still trying to diagnose - no fix yet.
Icicler ,

BRP does have a fix for this and my sled has been great since the replaced the components in the gear box.

Not sure who your dealer is but "Northshore Sports" in Sault Ste Marie fixed mine and would help yours.

Don't let them walk away from the issue.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
If anyone has that problem one time it will probably happen again. I would have them do the "fix" so you don't get stuck somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts