Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue.

At 350 miles my "Shot" quit working and it was determined that the crank sensor was bad. They replaced it and I was on my way. At 1,900 miles it blew up at about 65mph and locked up tighter than a drum. I haven't got a confirmation as they were still digging into it but they said it looks like the crank bearings got hot and failed... They are doing a cost analysis to rebuild or replace which I am pushing for a new short block. For leverage though it seems odd that the crank sensor failed and then shorty after the motor blows up and they are thinking due to a crank bearing. Could something have been off from day 1? Just trying to have as much leverage as possible for a new short block and no rebuild.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Yikes.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Local guy here bought a used 2020 freeride 146 has 450 miles and the crank come through the crank case Sunday on him . He brought it to me thinking his clutch blew up lol .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here I am thinking Doo had all that figured out by 2020 that’s why I bought a 20 freeride 146 this year! Makes me nervous now! Hope everything gets figured out for you!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
The 850 owners her say "don't ride an 850 with out warranty" I am beginning to believe them. LOL.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I only have 330 miles on mine just came out of break in a 329 miles. I don’t like being nervous the whole time riding a brand new sled.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I only have 330 miles on mine just came out of break in a 329 miles. I don't like being nervous the whole time riding a brand new sled.
in 2018 i bought a brand new freeride hoping to keep it for a while ... i soon realized that by the 5000km mark it would be a piece of crap....Beat the snout out of it while its under warranty and change in a few years....never tought i would give this advice but they are literraly disposable,....Dont ride without warranty and insurances.... 50% break in done over here 160km.....They had to reindex the plugs already wasnt done correctly at the factory , belt almost out of adjustement , and now i gotta clutch it ..saw the log file and over a period of 5hrs i was 8 min over 8000rpm seems like it pop up in buds.....the adjustable strap wasnt installed correctly either....Thats a brand new sled right...imagine once they get used.....remember warranty and insurance lol bu well thats just my experience...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Planned on keeping mine until my 3 year warranty is up. Never had an issue with any of the etecs.. put 600 hard miles on my 19 freeride and never one issue. Luck of the draw these day’s I guess?

·
Registered
343 Posts
You are just unlucky. Not many 850s have serious issues. But unfortunately they aren't perfect. Luck of the draw. If it's given you problems then I would definitely get rid of it before warranty expires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
More riding, less worrying. No way no how 100% of the sleds from any manufacturer are coming off the line destined to live a long happy life, void of any problems. Everyone gets to draw the short straw at least once; and yes, it’s very frustrating. People that have bad luck speak louder than those without, and that’s not a dig on the OP. Social media magnifies EVERYTHING; keep that in mind.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My 17 has about 2800km of hard mtn riding and hasn't missed a beat! This town's biggest seller is the 850 and I have only heard of one locally letting go. It's been on the market for 4+years now so there are tens of thousands in use, so I don't think people should think this motor is unreliable. If it was Doo certainly wouldn't of strapped a turbo on it and gave it warranty lol. For comparison's sake, and not to just bash Poo cuz they make goods sleds too, but their 850 has barely been out more than a year and I know of 6 locally that have blown up so if you are thinking there is better out there, you might want to think again and look a little deeper.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i got the first year freeride 850.. and it's a 2017 proto with no warranty.. now at 4700 km and still runs great.. the only issue i had was the engine temp sensor letting go.. part of the story IS luck.. if it grenades out of the blue.. but also, you make your own luck. I ride mine moderately.. giving it a chance.. and not always WOT. up till now seems alright.. got 2 coworkers here with BC 850 that have way over 10 000 km with no issues..

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 2020 Freeride was running like junk too and just found out today the crank position sensor wasnt plugged in all the way.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are just unlucky. Not many 850s have serious issues. But unfortunately they aren't perfect. Luck of the draw. If it's given you problems then I would definitely get rid of it before warranty expires
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I buy new every year or every other

1 - 17 of 17 Posts