Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings guys, new member here from AK. I spring ordered a 2020 Expedition SE 900ace and have been very happy with the machine. We ride two up on often steep/icy trails and I wanted a little more grip. After some digging I decided to go with the SureGrip 1610 studs. They charge a premium, but I'm very happy with how they bite into the precast lug holes on the Silent Cobra track. I'll report back after some time with the studs, but wanted to share a couple images of the install.

Here's a video of one of our favorite spots, Crescent Lake on the Kenai Peninsula. The trail switchbacks up to elevation and has a couple spots that ice up badly. I want every bit of traction possible when carrying a passenger!

IMG_0647.jpeg IMG_0648.jpeg IMG_0645.jpeg IMG_0649.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Looks like they will do the job for a long time

Reactions: 80AK

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for sharing, are they a carbide stud? I'm going to do some research now, I didnt know we had any options with studying the silent cobra!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for sharing, are they a carbide stud? I'm going to do some research now, I didnt know we had any options with studying the silent cobra!
The smaller diameter on the tip is tungsten carbide and it extends down through the head. From what I can gather Camso uses the studs bellow for the Ice Cobra. When I spring ordered the machine there wasn't much info from the dealer between the tracks, so I opted for the Silent Cobra with the porting for noise reduction. Camso doesn't offer the stud for sale, and the tracks I've seen studded with automotive style have trouble getting the stud depth consistent. This could simply be an inexperienced installation, but I didn't feel like searching for a tire studding gun. The Suregrips have a clever tapered design auger/shaft that bites in and then lets the rubber close back up tight around the head.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Do we need to run tunnel protectors for these studs?
If you look at the underside of your tunnel, you will most likely see rubber marks left from the track hitting the tunnel. Carbide studs would cut through that tunnel or heat exchanger very quickly.

The heat exchanger does sit lower than the tunnel itself, so some people have run studs on the outside of the track where they wouldn't hit the exchanger. I would still be hesitant to do that with a taller studs.

Tunnel protectors are the surest way to avoid tunnel damage from any kind of traction product.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On my 2019 exp sport,the heat exchanger is integrated into the tunnel and is not a separate piece.There are no slots to put protectors in.Do the gen4 wt and swt have the slots to put the protectors in?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The smaller diameter on the tip is tungsten carbide and it extends down through the head. From what I can gather Camso uses the studs bellow for the Ice Cobra. When I spring ordered the machine there wasn't much info from the dealer between the tracks, so I opted for the Silent Cobra with the porting for noise reduction. Camso doesn't offer the stud for sale, and the tracks I've seen studded with automotive style have trouble getting the stud depth consistent. This could simply be an inexperienced installation, but I didn't feel like searching for a tire studding gun. The Suregrips have a clever tapered design auger/shaft that bites in and then lets the rubber close back up tight around the head.
Much better than auto type studs which I don't like, there is a fine line between too deep and out too far with them and they are only good for glare ice if you get it right.. Does anybody have info on studding the 1.8'' extreme track, I think the is less to attach studs to on the paddles..

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On my 2019 exp sport,the heat exchanger is integrated into the tunnel and is not a separate piece.There are no slots to put protectors in.Do the gen4 wt and swt have the slots to put the protectors in?
I am wondering the same but I might have to get some generic ones and bolt or rivet them in like I did on the XU.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did a little digging and the parts catalog shows that the Expedition WT that comes with the Silent Ice Cobra has the 860201280 tunnel protector kit installed from the factory. It looks like all track models come with a single front/center protector (518329982) that curves with the tunnel around the driver. The two rear protectors are spaced such that the ice cobra stud pattern misses them (and the center/front protector) I'm installing the Gripstuds 1610s in the exact pattern as the Silent Ice Cobra. I'll be installing the rear tunnel protection kit and keeping the track tension/alignment dialed in.

I'm not sure on the 1.8" Cobra, here is an image of the two side by side. (Ice Cobra 1.5 left side.) The Suregrips are designed to be installed without an installation hole, it would depend on if there's enough area on the lug tips.

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.33.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 6.01.46 PM.jpg

rtaImage.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes the G4 chassis has a slot engineered into it to fit the tunnel protector. On your 2019 machine you have to drill and bolt the tunnel protector in. I did that to my wife's 2019 EXPY SE before adding Kold Kutter track screws.

DO NOT Run these without a tunnel protector!!!!!

I love the look of these sure grip studs. I'm gonna do this to my next sled! Thanks to the OP for sharing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yes the G4 chassis has a slot engineered into it to fit the tunnel protector. On your 2019 machine you have to drill and bolt the tunnel protector in. I did that to my wife's 2019 EXPY SE before adding Kold Kutter track screws.

DO NOT Run these without a tunnel protector!!!!!

I love the look of these sure grip studs. I'm gonna do this to my next sled! Thanks to the OP for sharing!!!

What about the Extreme models?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The new extreme is a G4 so I'm sure it'll have the slot for the protector. I've not personally laid eyes on that tunnel though. Just the 2020 EXPY sport and the 2021 EXPY LE. Both those sleds have the slot that the protector fits into in the rear of the tunnel.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The new extreme is a G4 so I'm sure it'll have the slot for the protector. I've not personally laid eyes on that tunnel though. Just the 2020 EXPY sport and the 2021 EXPY LE. Both those sleds have the slot that the protector fits into in the rear of the tunnel.

There are no predrilled holes in the 1.8" lug track so maybe not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Skidoo's parts viewer shows them with the center front protector. I believe the rear protector kit listed above would install in the Extreme, but you would have to make sure the track lugs would support the gripstuds, install them in a pattern that misses the tunnel protectors, and verify there is room in the tunnel for the 1.8" lugs/studs. I'll be looking closely at my SE today and take a few measurements. The Extreme does have a different drive axle for the 1.8" track, so clearance in that area might be different. I debated quite a bit about going with the 1.8" track on my SE, but opted for the 1.5/easy option for studding. It floats incredibly well fully loaded with two people in a few feet of snow, but the non-turbo 900ace and shorter lugs don't have the ability to move a lot of snow for climbing steeper slopes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts