Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know I'm probably the oddball out here. But I have been pondering when I decide to get a new sled if I should go for a Backcountry XRS 154 2.5"? I currently have a 2018 Summit SP 154 2.5" with fox floats all around

On the BCXRS I really like the shocks, wider boards, hand guards, gauges, but most of all I like that the controls are on the handle bars! I don't get the clean handlebar thing but that's just me it seems
It also seems like more and more we lock out our T motions so idk if that C motion would be the answer I'm looking for. I assume you lose the flex edge track.
I do 90% off trail, about 70% of that is more or less flat land.
I know the stance is a bit wider than the summit. I currently have my summit centered and I believe its about a 37" stance.
I like my summit a lot and if there was an economical way of getting the new gauge and putting the controls on the bars that's basically all I want. the rest is just icing on the cake.

What do you guys think? I'd really like to hear from someone who has ridden both.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
^ New Backcountry XRS I believe.

I have no seat time on the BC XRS, but based on what you're saying, I think you'd have a hoot on the XRS for the riding you're at. If the T-motion isn't alluring or the short tunnel on the expert, I'd say give her (The BC XRS) a go!

I'm a fan of clean handlebars because it's less to beat up in a roll-over or in the trees, but I can definitely see the convenience appeal. The gauge I could take or leave. You're not getting much on the summit one, but I'm really only concerned about RPM and temp - the numeric display on the BC XRS one would be great, but that's be about it for me. Purely a personal preference though.

I hated the minimalist gauge on the Gen4 first, but now I'm accustomed to it. I don't have seat time on a Polaris with PIDD, but that'd likely be the upgrade I'd welcome seeing, as it could remove my GPS.

·
Registered
769 Posts
From riding my sp and a buddy's backcountry it's two totally different sleds. The back country had a wider seat, the bars are angled back more and the ski stance is wider. For 90% off trail I would stick with the summit. Imo though. If you did more 50% 50% I would say give it a shot but at 90% stick with the summit it will be easier to ride

After he road my summit he traded his brand new backcountry for a summit. Didn't even have the backcountry out of break in mode....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have the 2020 BCXRS 154 with a 2 1/2" track and I can't wait to get it to Canada and some deep of trail snow. I did swap the factory seat for the Forty7C seat and absolutely love my sled now. Was on a 146 with a 2" track for 2 years and lived it. As I want to do more and more, mostly off trail, I figured the 154 would be the perfect sled. Having never riden a Summit, I can't speak to that, but I will say you will not be disappointed in the 154 Backcountry XRS.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
The Summit will definitely be easier to lay over than a BC-XRS. My FreeRide 154" S-38 is the same width front end; tMotion vs cMotion, and while it's the easiest sled I've spent the most time on, it is still not a Summit.

I've debated a Summit X with some upgrades next time around.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you ride 90% off trail - then consider even longer options. Our riding is primarily off trail here - we ride trails to get to where we play. A 165" has virtually no downsides - and will make it easier to get to more places compared to a 154. (Granted you take the t-mo with a 165 but if you really hate it - it's pretty easy to remedy).

I used to ride an s38 154 freeride - and I there is no circumstance in which I wouldn't prefer my 165 summit 3". I was of the opinion before I rode one that there really wasn't much difference between a 154 and a 165... but until i rode them both side by side on the same day all I was doing was fooling myself. I sold the s38 last month.

The difference is even greater with a 3". The traction from the 3" track is not just a little better - it is pick your jaw off the floor better. I have the luxury of being able to swap between a 19 freeride 165 2.5" and an 18 summit x 165 3" geared the same with similar suspension, and the difference is at least 40% more traction. Hit the gas and the 2.5" spins, while the 3" lifts the skis.

The summit 165 is easier to lay over (compared to s38) holds a line better, has more traction, bridges gaps a little better, and just keeps going and going. I get stuck much less often now. You could probably argue for a while about trail performance - but - then you should probably just get a trail sled. The downsides on trail are minimal, the benefits off trail are considerable.

The 2.5" is a tougher track for sure - so if you abuse it all the time the 3" won't last as long - but you'll have way more fun on a 3" than you can predict from it being only half an inch taller. I think it has a lot to do with the 3.5" pitch. The track doesn't scoop the snow out of the way - it just leaves it there while you go flying.

I have a few buddies who've been skeptical about this argument and they've come out with me to see for themselves. All of them (save one guy) are now on the hunt for a 165 3" or will spring check. No kidding. (The one exception is a very talented rider who thinks longer than 155 is cheating). I havnt tried a 175" yet - but it doesn't sound as crazy to me as it once did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: IcutMetl

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
It to bad the summit doesn't come with the option of the handle bar control. I hate the stupid switches on the hood!
Yup i hear you. Freerides as well. I don't like the switches on the console and the shi--y small laid down gauge. Maybe i am just getting old.

Backcountry XRS would be a nice choice in that track length.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts