Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
The 600RS based on the previous 600 HO was said could not be trail ridden. We proved it could on pump 91, but by limiting cruising to a minimum and monitoring the tuned pipe temp. I was the one who changed it from a trail to race timing. When I rode it with its full power, it felt like a gazelle on steroids.

Like any other 600, the power is lacking when above a certain speed. It had great backshift, but lacked the power of an 800 to regain track speed in climbs. The first 850 I rode was a 2018 Freeride 850, which felt like the 600RS in its true race form.

I would not repeat the experience because I believe a race setup belongs on a race track. By the way there was no makeshift homebrew barking muffler. It was full on OEM race setup.

Best of luck running an even higher powered 600R in race 600RS on the trails. There is no guaranty nor warranty with 1.16 Hp/cc. It was fun, but I am not doing that again. If I want more power then I get a higher cc engine like an 800.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I am sorry I do not know if BRP has dome or flat pistons to reduce the compression, when I did my research into converting the sled I stopped after learning of all the draw backs. For starters I would have doubled the head gasket if it was possible if not I would have contacted the race department, it seems that there is a guru that helps people in converting the sleds.

I think if you want the most fun and probably the fastest sled in the trails when it comes to twistiest the XS chassis 600 e-tech MXZ XRS would be the best.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
@alainm, I think the only thing needed to convert a 600RS race sled (based on the 600 HO carb) to trail was to change to the ignition timing by disconnecting the hot start button. It was never said, but I suspect this was changing the ignition timing to the one used for break-in. I had asked, but I didn't get a straight answer. I would have needed to press the question and have it forwarded to the gentlemen who at the time was responsible for changing the ignition timing maps on a whole slew of sleds including the 380 fanner.

For the base gasket which determines the squish, this is something easy enough for anyone to check. If one finds the measurement to be iffy, then the answer is in measuring piston projection. There is enough about this subject on DooTalk to keep one busy measuring and thinking. The thing is, there is no free lunch. I have since learned though trial&error that there was room to bump the power for trail riding, but I remained within a tolerance that I was comfortable with.

I thought that I reached a tight squish until I found a gentlemen on DooTalk who had inadvertently rebuilt his 800RE engine with such a tight squish that the engine survived one of the pistons kissing the head. The piston projection was posted on DooTalk, which I considered the holy grail on squish. I see it a little more complex than a simple measurement, but the level of information was ahead of anything I could dream of getting from the racing community. It also gave me an idea for the capability of the trail 800RE.

I am all for bumping the engine power, but within reason and with some knowledge to go with it. Are you planning on going to the Napierville Vintage show ? I have been toying with the idea of making an appearance with a 1000 SDI, but I would feel more comfortable with someone with your experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts