Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of 2017 tundra sport,I used this site to gain as much information as possible before pulling the trigger on this sled,thank you to all it was very helpful,so I thought i would try and give a quick review of my first impressions of this sled

Let me give a little of my background,52yrs old been sledding all my life starting on the old OMC sleds bobcats norseman etc moving up to MXZ 's ,GSX,etc finally to my previous sled 2007 GTX 500SS I no longer have that "need for speed" so I decided on a Tundra It had to be 4 stroke as I am tired of cleaning carbs because of the pilot jets always plugging up due to crappy gas

I was a little bit concerned with the pogo stick front end of the Tundra but really wanted a narrow sled because I have the most fun on ungroomed trails that i have put in with my 4 wheeler for cutting wood, so I put my concerns about tippyness aside,we do not get really deep snow where i am so decided on the sport instead of the LT again the trails i cut are very tight and i figured the 154 track would be just too long and most likely unnecessary due to the snow conditions i ride in.

Tippy or not? i would not call this sled tippy at all we have about 20 inchs of snow right now i went for a bush ride with the stock skis(DS2) lots of side hill corners etc the sled would do what i will call wallow on the downside ski but easy to control with a bit of body english it was easily corrected unlike my larger GTX with a arm front end when it wallowed it was nearly impossible to correct due to its weight and width.The Tundra is very nimble in tight spots and easily can be put up on one ski for tight turns,so I went back to the shop and put on the DS2 ski skins(10") that i got with the sled,wow what a difference! it would hardly dive in on the down hill ski on tight turns great flotation but was still easily able to flip it up on its side when needed just a little lean and some throttle and you can carve right over,so I went and did some road riding hard packed plowed roads again not the tippyness i had anticipated is it an a arm sled no,but that being said i was able to ride at a very decent speed with very little effort and if you really want to give er just lean old school and it stays remarkably flat and easy to handle

600ACE this motor is fantastic the 2017 has 3 modes or tunes,ECO,Standard,and Sport i ran it in Eco for the tight technical stuff and it was amazing it literally just crawls with no track spin at all had to reverse several times and it did it no problem without digging a trench, Sport mode on the road running and it was very responsive certainly not a 500ss but very adequate for me saw 65mph on straight stretches and i think it would climb up there a little more given a longer stretch i will find out when i get it out on the lake,I don't expect it to be even close to my old flying couch 500ss but that is not its purpose

I can best describe riding this sled as a cross between a four wheeler and an old time sled where you have to use some body input to truly get the most out of this sled

So thanks again to all who posted on the Tundra your input helped greatly in my decision and i am very happy with this sled I didn't realize how much i had missed old school sledding when i was driving the big a arm sleds

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Nice review. I'm trying to pick out a sled for my brother in law. He just uses it for ice fishing, so it must go through the powder and slush all while pulling a collapsible ice shack. He currently uses a 1994 Polaris Trail Indy, which doesn't have the deep snow capability. Maybe a sled like yours would be a good choice?
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
So congratulations on your new sled, hope it continues to impress, as the engine alone is fantastic enough to persuade me for one for myself, but probably in a sport package as I just trail ride.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Great sled, i have a GTX as well and a 550 Tundra, there is just something about a narrow machine on pogos that makes it so much more nimble and fun to ride vs A-arms where you just sit and drive. A-arms are nice for open trails, sit back and relax.

I find the pogos will not plow snow like a-arms and saves me from getting stuck, especially when going down hill when the belly of the Tundra keeps the machine a float.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice write up. at time as I wish I waited one more year (bought the 2009 tundra 550LT) but still really love my sled. without a doubt my next sled will be the ace 600, just don't know if it will be the expedition or tundra.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice review. I'm trying to pick out a sled for my brother in law. He just uses it for ice fishing, so it must go through the powder and slush all while pulling a collapsible ice shack. He currently uses a 1994 Polaris Trail Indy, which doesn't have the deep snow capability. Maybe a sled like yours would be a good choice?
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
So congratulations on your new sled, hope it continues to impress, as the engine alone is fantastic enough to persuade me for one for myself, but probably in a sport package as I just trail ride.
I love my Expedition Sport 900ace, use it for what you described and it dominates!!!!

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
i agree the Expedition 900 is probably the best choice for hauling an ice hut, the only reason i can see for having the tundra is if you are going to do a lot of bush riding,that is where the narrow tundra shines
Good to know. I didn't realize it was narrower. I don't really know the differences.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Good to know. I didn't realize it was narrower. I don't really know the differences.
Just the ski stance is narrower on the tundra i believe. Both great machines...some say the tundra is tippy..i havnt ridden one enough to notice...but what i like about the expedition sport is that it has the front end of a rev but the chassis of a utility..both tundra and expedition sport have the same chassis....just different front suspension.

I was on a fishing trip last winter with a friend and his old sled broke down on the first day...i ended up towing him, his sled, both our fishouses and all the gear miles back to camp...and she didnt even break a sweat

·
Registered
335 Posts
Now that you own the best utility sled out there, go down to your Polaris dealer, buy some Pro Float skis (they come stock on their Voyageur), and install them (easy mod) on your Tundra. Best mod you'll ever doo on the Tundra.
Not tippy, amazing float.
Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats! I took delivery of a 2016 Tundra sport at the end of last season and loved it! Nice and quiet when running, I couldn't believe the difference between my 2013 Renegade 600 Etec and the Tundra. This machine can go anywhere in deep snow and is great on gas. The only thing is I wanted a long track and the dealer did not have one with a 600 ACE, so i just traded it in for a 2017 LT 600 ACE. I asked them to add the wider ski skins , tunnel protectors and heated visor port. I cant wait to take delivery in a few days! Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Congrats! I took delivery of a 2016 Tundra sport at the end of last season and loved it! Nice and quiet when running, I couldn't believe the difference between my 2013 Renegade 600 Etec and the Tundra. This machine can go anywhere in deep snow and is great on gas. The only thing is I wanted a long track and the dealer did not have one with a 600 ACE, so i just traded it in for a 2017 LT 600 ACE. I asked them to add the wider ski skins , tunnel protectors and heated visor port. I cant wait to take delivery in a few days! Thanks for the review!
How is the new Tundra working for you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts