Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a heads up that brp is stressing the use of only their oil in this motor .it was stressed over and over at the meeting . :wink_old:

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
KRM,funny you state that, just had a conversation about this. I use Legend oil and a buddy said he needs to call Mark Zaiac and tell him you won't be able to use his oil in the 850. I have no issues with brp oil for lubrication, but I have issues with deposits on rave valves / combustion chamber. Seems like too many polymers? ?

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KRM,funny you state that, just had a conversation about this. I use Legend oil and a buddy said he needs to call Mark Zaiac and tell him you won't be able to use his oil in the 850. I have no issues with brp oil for lubrication, but I have issues with deposits on rave valves / combustion chamber. Seems like too many polymers? ?
i'm the dealer here in the ne for legend ,.that's what i use also . :wink_old:

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The reason BRP only recommends their oil is because that is the oil used for all of the testing on the test bench and in the field. The ECU is calibrated to send the correct amount of doo oil for the different operating parameters. I am not saying other oils will not work but none of them have been tested on this engine design.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Does anyone know if the oil goes directly to the crank and rod areas or does it get mixed first? I guess id like to know where exactly oil is injected to. No iso flex it seems, so im guessing oil must be consistently sent to crank/rod areas undiluted.

Dan
Not 100% sure, but looks like the crank would receive 100% fresh oil fed by a pressure pump. I find it interesting that they are using a spit design roller bearing for the rods. Check out the video, it was posted on the other thread in general.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Does anyone know if the oil goes directly to the crank and rod areas or does it get mixed first? I guess id like to know where exactly oil is injected to. No iso flex it seems, so im guessing oil must be consistently sent to crank/rod areas undiluted.

Dan
Correct. New life for the 2 strokes. New continuous oil to the crankshaft main and large rod bearings. Look at the comparison of engine widths of just the 800 and 850. Can you imagine the difference versus the 4 strokes?

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep. We develop a oil and try to develop the best engine for it
Makes perfect sense to me

just a heads up that brp is stressing the use of only their oil in this motor .it was stressed over and over at the meeting . :wink_old:

·
Super Moderator
29,346 Posts
Not 100% sure, but looks like the crank would receive 100% fresh oil fed by a pressure pump. I find it interesting that they are using a spit design roller bearing for the rods. Check out the video, it was posted on the other thread in general.

Split rollers have been around long enough and used successfully enough in industry I'd have no issue with them being used i an engine as well.

Less heat, less rolling resistance, better for lubrication - should be good.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
it's tough to risk your warranty on a different brand of oil. I run Shell advance snow ultra in my 08 600SDI since it's long off warranty and it uses roughly 3.7L per 600km. My '15 800R E-TEC is still under warranty and it uses 3.7L/ 1000km. If I were buying a new 850 E-TEC that uses 3.7L per 1400km I know what I'd be running...

Reactions: Kruchy and 351c

·
Registered
279 Posts
I see this to be a improvement to the bottom end issue ,but what about the top end failures all 2 strokes suffer from?There is no way to lubricate the cylinder walls and pistons like all 4 stroke engines.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
One would guess the oil being used to lubricate the bottom end is making its way into the cylinders via the incoming intake charge for lubrication then out the exhaust. Where else is it going to go? You'd have a crankcase full of oil if not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
I see this to be a improvement to the bottom end issue ,but what about the top end failures all 2 strokes suffer from?There is no way to lubricate the cylinder walls and pistons like all 4 stroke engines.
Plasma coated cylinders, cast iron ring lands. They addressed the topend as well. Big thinking and way better solution for performance and bumps than a heavy 4 stroke.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts

Dan
The oil is pumped to the Mains first. From there it is pushed to the Rod big ends. After this it mixes with the air charge where it lubricates the top end and wrist pin bearing. The oil is then consumed in combustion (E-TEC outboards work similarly). The oil is NEVER diluted in fuel and there is no isoflex used in the bottom end.

Reactions: rockerdan

·
Registered
559 Posts
BRP needs to be careful on the wording of oil requirements. Warranty law states that if you must use a specific oil during warranty period it must be provided free of charge during that period.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts