Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a left over 800, have they improved the reliability of the 800 at all? I'm I better going with a 1200 for reliability? I always liked the pull of the 800. I had a 2003 blair morgan and just sold it to get an upgrade, rebuilt that at 5500 miles.

ive been out of the new snowmobile market and looking for some input, Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Left over 850's are dirt cheap right now. I picked my 17 renegade up as a left over for about $2,200 under MSRP. Why would you go with the 800? Better buy on the 800? Just curious as the 850 is an absolute beast! 445 miles on it now so far this winter and no regrets, big smiles, and sore arms from holding on. This is my first Ski Doo having owned Cat and Yamaha for the last 25 years.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If I was buying a leftover, definitely get the 850. Want to find a good deal on a used 800, can find them dirt cheap in the Midwest right now to as our winters have been crap for the last 4 years.

The 800etec is a great motor, and proven reliability. Sure you'll hear about failures but that's any sled. From the 800 or 800ho in the Rev, the etec is a huge upgrade in reliability and power. But as stated, its not fair to compare the reliability of the 800 to a 1200 4 stroke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Left over 850's are dirt cheap right now. I picked my 17 renegade up as a left over for about $2,200 under MSRP. Why would you go with the 800? Better buy on the 800? Just curious as the 850 is an absolute beast! 445 miles on it now so far this winter and no regrets, big smiles, and sore arms from holding on. This is my first Ski Doo having owned Cat and Yamaha for the last 25 years.
The 800 is about $1500 cheaper, and I'm looking for a 129 track. A lot of blizzards out there so that's what the 800 is, I can get a TNT 850 for about $9500.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 800 is about $1500 cheaper, and I'm looking for a 129 track. A lot of blizzards out there so that's what the 800 is, I can get a TNT 850 for about $9500.
The problem with buying a brand new 800, even at a good deal is the resale value of the XM chassis dropped greatly after the 850 came out, and will only continue to drop. But I completely understand since its a specific setup your looking for.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Replaced my 13 800X gade with a 17 800 gade X-RS leftover. Why? 5000 flawless miles. absolutely no issues or problems. I like the XS chassis, it works well and I know exactly where to set suspension for what I want it to do. is the G4 and 850 the latest technology, well sure. is it a significant improvement over XS, maybe. does the 850 pull harder, sure. I had the opportunity to jump on my 09 800x ptek and chase my friends down the trail. those yamies are pretty fast down the road, in the twisties that big hp difference isn't such a big thing. Buy what's right for you and go have fun. good time to buy leftovers.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Replaced my 13 800X gade with a 17 800 gade X-RS leftover. Why? 5000 flawless miles. absolutely no issues or problems. I like the XS chassis, it works well and I know exactly where to set suspension for what I want it to do. is the G4 and 850 the latest technology, well sure. is it a significant improvement over XS, maybe. does the 850 pull harder, sure. I had the opportunity to jump on my 09 800x ptek and chase my friends down the trail. those yamies are pretty fast down the road, in the twisties that big hp difference isn't such a big thing. Buy what's right for you and go have fun. good time to buy leftovers.
what did you give for your XRS? I am considering looking for a 17xrs, love my 16xrs. but if i could go back to 0 miles for the right price I would.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Buy the 850 hands down over an 800 , rider postion/ power is worth the extra money . You wont need a new sled for years as doo will keep this around for at least 4 years before they change again.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Buy the 850 hands down over an 800 , rider postion/ power is worth the extra money . You wont need a new sled for years as doo will keep this around for at least 4 years before they change again.
not opposed to the 850, but for the right deal there are alot of reasons to stay with the 800

·
Registered
129 Posts
Back to your original question... I am a huge Ski Doo fan. I had a mxz x 600 ho sdi and loved it. So I thought I'd sell it and upgrade. I just bought a renegade x 800 etec w 3,700 on it paid $6,700 for it back in October 17. I might have put 100 miles on it on my first trip in the UP Michigan and she blew up to the point where I had to put a completely different motor in. It cost me and additional $3000 all said and done. The sled is in mint condition and could be parked on a showroom floor. But I don't think you can compare the reliability to a 1200. My buddy's dad has 3 1200s and he doesn't touch them other than the typical maintenance and they run every time. Makes me sick to my stomach because I love the 2 stroke power/feel/weight but after what happened to me it sucks to say but get a 4 stroke if you considering it. That being said I will still continue to role the dice and stick with a 2 stoke for the power/feel/weight aspect. Best of luck to you and ride safe Brother.

·
Registered
192 Posts
All things considered, what are you looking for or what kind of riding do you do> pleasure riding, cruising or knowing you have the power when you want it and performance? I have ridden the 4-stroke and own a 2 stroke 800 actually I have owned 2 of them in the last 5 years, The one I have now is a 2015 xrs ren 800 with 7,000 miles on it, and I have just changed the belt. The 2012 I traded in on the 2015 had 7,000 miles on it and I traded it in with the original belt on it also. the 4 is heavier and does not have the throttle response as the 2 stroke. Again it depends on what kind of riding you do.

·
Registered
758 Posts
800 is light and fun, 1200 has a lot of engine braking and pulls harder than 800, but I don't think it is any faster. There are a lot of good things about an XS 800. I have an XS Gade 800 and it's a hoot to ride! Not sure I want a G4 but I have warranty for 2 more seasons too - so that does weigh into it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts