Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked over the forums and I haven't found a direct answer to my question. I have a 2017 enduro 1200 and last year I had a few times where I was battling high temps. My simple question is: should this sled not ever overheat if it has a cooling fan and auxiliary rad? The conditions were icy and stuff one time for the heating issue..and the second time there seemed to be adequate snow..but it was still heating up (riding at 4 bars). One thing that I did notice at one point was the gas tank ring came loose and was spun up the thread of the gas tank filler nozzle...(not sure how I never noticed it earlier)..but when I tightened it back down the temperatures went down. Not even remotely sure that there was a direct correlation between the two.

My 600 etc would shut off after warm up and this model does not. I found even with the fan running it was not cooling the sled down when I came to a stop. Simple bath of snow on the chassis heat exchanger or off trail romp cooled things down..and it never got too hot. But what's the point of the fan and rad if it won't cool the sled down and keep it from heating up.

I double checked and the fan does turn on like clockwork when the temp hits 5 bars. I don't know if that's where it's supposed to engage..but that's when it does. Coolant levels appear to be where that are supposed to be from reading other posts on this forum.

I ride the suspension as soft as I can to encourage snow cycling to the year exchangers as well.

Overall I'm just a bit baffled at this one ..and I'm looking for ideas before I take it to the dealer...I want it in too top shape to ride when the trails open

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Whats it reading on the digital temp when the fan comes on? mine runs 3 to 4 bars all the time, mostly 3, I think the fan comes on at 212 degrees, as far as shutting off after warm up I think the manual says 12 min? not sure on that one. I always run my guages with the digital temp gauge and rpm showing, gps is for my speedo.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engages fan at 100c (212) and the fan kicks on...but temp still climbs up to 105c ...I just shut it off...didn't want to run the temp any higher...after 10 mins.. .it still was running and last winter it wouldn't ever shut off after 12 mins (wish it would)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I thought I read in the manual that it would shut off after a certain amount of time, I'll have t check cause now I'm curious, I've never started it and walked away and usually take off once its warmed up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the manual and it says 12 mins..but by that time it would be getting quite hot. You would think that when the fan when engages it should stabilize the temperature and not let it continue to heat up. If it doesn't...what's the point of having it?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I put a rad and fan put on my gade 900 ace , it runs normal at 4 bars and fan comes on at 5 bars. I wish i had a light that came on when the fan starts though. You will never hear the fan run while you are riding.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't have the aux fan/radiator, but I don't expect that would really provide any additional cooling without cool outside air flowing thru it (underhood temperature are high too) likely your temperatures would climb slower, but I don't think it's going to cool . However mine pretty well always runs at 4 bars, sometimes 3 in very cold or snowy conditions, so your experience seems to be normal. These sleds do run hot, we are talking about a big automotive style engine and they are likely designed to run hot for emission purposes. They do have a fail safe to beep if they start getting warm and then shut down well before the possibility of hurting anything.

Way more info available at http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/491294-overheat-shutdown/

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,255 Posts
I put a rad and fan put on my gade 900 ace , it runs normal at 4 bars and fan comes on at 5 bars. I wish i had a light that came on when the fan starts though. You will never hear the fan run while you are riding.
That's super easy to make happen.

A small 12 volt led drilled into the dash or anyplace you'd like, then just parallel and pair of wires off the fan lead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you thought about ice scratchers? My Renegade (no fan) averaged about 170* and would regularly go over 200. A couple times the light came on so I'd have to shut down and cool. I got sick of worrying about it so I got scratchers and now I average 130* and I think I only hit 200 once since mid season last year.

My last sled was a GSX 1200 w/ the fan and I dont remember it overheating.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I talked to a tech at the dealer who basically told me the fan is OK if you are moving in low snow conditions to regulate the speed in which things heat up. I picked up some scratchers to put on this weekend to be on the safe side. Also its 12 mins from last throttle touch.. so after i let mine sit for 12 mins.. sure enough it shut down. He also told me running at 4 bars occasionally into 5 back and forth is not uncommon and said not to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
big difference on my 17 1200 enduro when i ride with air shock on 1/2 vs 3/4 . 1/2 the flap really does its job and keeps it cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts