Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a week in Northern Ontario. The conditions were very hard with no loose snow on the trails and glare ice lakes. We had XR 1200's with us and a few 600 etechs also in XS chassis. My wife had real issues with over heating and her sled would run 30 degrees warmer than my sled and they are exactly the same. My sled ran warmer than the XR 1200's also. My observations were that the snow flap on the 16's sit too high and allow whatever snow and ice to exit the rear of the sled rather than stay in the tunnel to help cool. The XR 1200's flap would sit much lower. The real problem is my wife weighs 130 lbs and her sled doesn't squat down while riding which makes it even worse. We had to switch sleds often so I could cool her sled down. I would leave my sled with the temp @ 170 degrees get on hers @ 200 degrees. Within a few miles I would have her sled down to 170 and she would have mine up to 200. I'm thinking maybe a spring change on her sled will help even though she doesn't feel her sled is stiff. I'm definitely putting ice scratchers on both sleds for next year. We did get fresh snow later in the week and all the 1200's ran the same temps no matter who was riding what. The funny part was we had no issues with hyfax sticking just high engine temps. Do they offer softer springs for the Renegade X pkg sleds? I only read about heavy riders going to heavy springs but rarely see lighter riders going to lighter springs.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
The flaps are too far back and too short on the 16's in certain conditions like you've just found out.

I'd rivit a flap extension on if it were me.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The flaps are too far back and too short on the 16's in certain conditions like you've just found out.

I'd rivit a flap extension on if it were me.
What about the lighter springs for my wifes sled? I'm sure it has to help right? In normal snow there is no problem so apparently Doo must test in perfect conditions.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
What about the lighter springs for my wifes sled? I'm sure it has to help right? In normal snow there is no problem so apparently Doo must test in perfect conditions.
Yes, getting a lower ride height will help too, lighter springs will lower it down. Where is rear dampening set on her rear arm? Softest?

Compression dampening will also have an effect on ride height. When dampening is set more firm a effect called stack can happen and carry a load higher too. Works the same way for rebound dampening also, but the rear shock is compression dampening.

Studs also help kick up snow and ice chips as well as scratchers. You have a few options to pick from. But there is no doubt the flap is too far back and to high on the 16's for these conditions you are running in. Snow up at 32 degrees will act the same way too, its just heavy and the track will not carry it into the tunnel even though its soft.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spring is set to lightest setting and I haven't done anything to the shocks yet. She loves the way the sled rides and handles so I hate to make any changes. I will check out the shocks and soften them. I will also check out the rear arm setting. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Just lowride the sled like i do and if you need more add vents so the air can flow in AND escape out the back, i found a consistant 7-10 degrees difference after venting it, the perfomance of them drops severely after 150 degrees imo, the best i found was 130-135 range for the hardest pull

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
The spring is set to lightest setting and I haven't done anything to the shocks yet. She loves the way the sled rides and handles so I hate to make any changes. I will check out the shocks and soften them. I will also check out the rear arm setting. Thanks.
The blocks should be on 1 too so it squat all the way down when it wants to

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Just lowride the sled like i do and if you need more add vents so the air can flow in AND escape out the back, i found a consistant 7-10 degrees difference after venting it, the perfomance of them drops severely after 150 degrees imo, the best i found was 130-135 range for the hardest pull
We found the same thing Brent. Water temp is everything.

Check her compression dampening setting. We found all the new 16's X's to be set full stiff. Not sure why. I run between full soft and maybe 3-4 in from full soft if trails get rougher, but I have 14 Gade X. I wouldn't be afraid to change the dampening, thats what is there for. Just count the clicks, you can always go back. I'd bet if she likes it now, she'll like it better softer anyways.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The blocks should be on 1 too so it squat all the way down when it wants to
I have them set at one but the problem is she is too light. I think I'm going to start buying her twinkies and potato chips to snack on. I'll bet guys with heavy wives aren't having these issues.

·
Banned
7,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We found the same thing Brent. Water temp is everything.

Check her compression dampening setting. We found all the new 16's X's to be set full stiff. Not sure why. I run between full soft and maybe 3-4 in from full soft if trails get rougher, but I have 14 Gade X. I wouldn't be afraid to change the dampening, thats what is there for. Just count the clicks, you can always go back. I'd bet if she likes it now, she'll like it better softer anyways.
Thanks Mike. I haven't done anything to these sleds this year because the Winter has been so bad. This trip was the first time we had a chance to really put on some miles. I will check the shocks for sure and hopefully they have them set at full stiff.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
I have them set at one but the problem is she is too light. I think I'm going to start buying her twinkies and potato chips to snack on. I'll bet guys with heavy wives aren't having these issues.
Lol like mike said, if it a x turn the shock down to almost nothing, if it still doesnt work buy some twinkies

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes my wife is heavier but she runs hot all the time??

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I agree, check the rear shock clicker and turn it down to full soft, and count the clicks. Write it down or you'll forget.

I also agree you should add some venting to let the heat leave the sled. I'd buy the shock tower vents that rockerdan added in his thread, and then some of those brp click in vents that guys have been adding. It will all look factory stock but help greatly evacuate some heat.

If all that doesn't work, extend the snow flap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
careful with extended snow flap....PIA when is gets jammed while backing off a trailer. I actually cut mine. Mine has never been hot..it has a radiator with fan.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
So how has yours been since the RAD AND FAN kit.???What was kit worth also?
my apologies, I have an xr. My flap was real long and got caught every time backing off my hybrid, and even on trail sometimes. I cut it, problem solved and My temps never went up. this could be due to radiator.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
My xr flap catches often when backing up. When sitting idle on my sled, the flap is basically touching the ground. But my sled runs cool and I've basically ridden in dirt. Sometimes when I reverse I have to walk next to the sled. Small inconvenience in my opinion to have a sled that doesn't run hot or overheat.

My uncle pulls his flap up with a bungee cord when reversing out of his trailer. Problem solved.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My '09 shorty would get hot in the heavy, wet snow and warmer temps at slow in the woods speeds. Temp alerts on the dash. I put Water Wetter in the coolant and it helped. Still is running cooler. It wouldn't hurt to try it IMO.

It helped on my old 600 Indys that were notorious for overheating also.

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
My '09 shorty would get hot in the heavy, wet snow and warmer temps at slow in the woods speeds. Temp alerts on the dash. I put Water Wetter in the coolant and it helped. Still is running cooler. It wouldn't hurt to try it IMO.
It helped on my old 600 Indys that were notorious for overheating also.
I always wondered about that Water Wetter. Are there any adverse affects of using it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts